Avalon Office Building

Location: 304 4th Ave W Local Register Avalon Office Building, 1950s, Southwest Regional Archives Avalon Office Building today (2017), photo by Deborah Ross The Avalon Office Building was erected in 1928 adjacent to the Avalon Theater. It originally housed restaurants but in later years was the home of various commercial endeavors, including C.R. Harris Paint and the Christensen…

Avalon Theater Building (Griswold’s – demolished)

Location: 308 4th Ave E Popular culture Avalon Theater, 1936, Jeffers photograph. Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives Avalon Theater (Griswold’s) building (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The Avalon Theater was built in 1928, one of several movie theaters in downtown Olympia. The architect was Franklin Cox Stanton, who adopted the Mission style that characterizes much…

Backlund House

Location: 616 Boundary St SE Diversity: Scandinavians Backlund House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Backlund House today (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross This imposing brick home was built by Frank and Ida Backlund around 1936, shortly before the photograph at above left was taken. The Backlunds were Finnish immigrants. Like many other Scandinavians in our…

Bailey House

Location: 311 9th Ave SE Local register Bailey House, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Bailey House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross The Bailey House, located across the street from the Olympia Timberland Library, is a charming example of a Craftsman style house located near downtown Olympia. W.N. Bailey was listed as an insurance…

Baretich Building/Site of Olympia Cafe

Location: 116 4th Ave E National Downtown Historic District, Local register, Wohleb Olympia Cafe, 1914, photo by Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Baretich building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross Since Olympia’s beginnings, there have been small but popular commercial establishments along Fourth Avenue, including numerous cafes and bars. The Olympia Cafe…

Barnes Bank and Site of Roxie Moore’s Saloon

Location: 114-118 Capitol Way N Downtown National Historic District 118 N. Capitol, Roxie Moore’s saloon, as it appeared in 1880-1890, photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society      Barnes Bank Building, 114 N. Capitol, today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  The brick building seen at upper right is the Barnes Bank building. George Barnes was…

Bayview Market/Site of JJ Brenner and HA Long Boatworks

Location: 516 4th Ave W 98502 Women’s History, Diversity: Japanese, Native American; mid-Century modern; Transportation J.J. Brenner, 1914, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Bayview Market now (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly  The western end of Fourth Avenue has been a host to water-based industry since the early days of Olympia. The Bird’s Eye…

Belsito (Worthington) House-2716 Hillside

Location: 2716 Hillside St Women’s History; Local Register Belsito House-2716 Hillside, ca. 1940, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Belsito House-2716 Hillside today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross During the late 1930s and 1940s, Trena Belsito built four homes in the neighborhood of 27th Avenue and Hillside Avenue, in the Wildwood Neighborhood of Olympia. Though…

Benner House

Location: 512 Sherman St SW Wohleb; mid-Century modern Benner House under construction, 1960, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Benner Benner House today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross The Norman and Isabelle Benner House is considered one of the more important examples of mid-Century residential architecture in Olympia. Its architect, Gordon Stacey Bennett was working for the Wohleb…

Bettman Block

Location: 312-324 Fourth Ave. SE Diversity: Jewish heritage The Bettman Block around 1891 photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Bettman Block today (2012)Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  The Bettman Family was a dynasty of merchants beginning with the early days of Olympia. Louis Bettman had a men’s store on Main Street (now Capitol Way),…

Bettman-Oppenheimer House

Location: 216 9th  Ave SE Local Register; Diversity: Jewish heritage Bettman-Oppenheimer House about 1983, courtesy Washington State Archives, Olympia Planning Department collection Bettman-Oppenheimer House today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross  The Bettman-Oppenheimer House was built by local merchant Louis Bettman as a wedding gift to his daughter Belle Bettman. The elaborate Queen Anne style was…

Bigelow-Bailey House

Location: 936 Glass Ave NE Local register Bigelow-Bailey House, 1937, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Bigelow-Bailey House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This pretty L-shaped house was built by the Bigelow family in 1897 as a rental unit. It is just two doors up from the Bigelow House on Glass Street. Although built in the simple Pioneer…

Bigelow House

Location: 918 Glass Ave NE National  register, State register, local register; Women’s History Bigelow House, 1866 Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum collection   Bigelow House, 2012, photo courtesy of Deborah Ross The Daniel and Ann Elizabeth Bigelow House, now the Bigelow House Museum, is one of the oldest existing documented homes in Olympia,…

Blankenship, George and Georgiana House

Location: 205 15th Ave SW Women’s History; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood   George and Georgiana Blankenship House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives George and Georgiana Blankenship House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Among the most popular citizens in Olympia in early days, George and Georgiana Blankenship forged a partnership that has…

Boardman Building

Location: 120 4th Ave E Local register; Downtown National Historic District; Diversity: Gay and Lesbian history Boardman Building, 1964, State Archives, Thurston County Assessor Boardman Building 2013, photograph by Marisa Merkel The Boardman Building at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Washington Street stands at one of the more important commercial intersections in Olympia from its…

Boardman House

Location: 406 18th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Boardman House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Boardman House now (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The Boardman House, built in 1920, is a fine example of a large and well maintained arts and crafts style home. It is located in the Maple Park neighborhood, now part…

Boat and Motor Mart Building (demolished)/Site of Pearl City Laundry

Location: 405 Water St SW Transportation; Diversity: Vietnamese heritage; mid-Century modern Pearl City Cleaning and Dye Works around 1914, Robert Esterly photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Boat and Motor Mart building in 2012, photo by Deb Ross   Water Street, at the western edge of downtown Olympia, was created on fill in the…

Boyles House

Location: 214 18th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Boyles House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Boyles House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This well-preserved Craftsman home was built around 1922. Albert Boyles was a telephone rate engineer for the state, and the family lived here from the time…

Bridges/Goldberg House

Location: 301 21st Ave SW Women’s history; Diversity: Jewish Heritage; South Capitol National Historic District Bridges/Goldberg House 1955, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Bridges/Goldberg House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross One of the finest homes in Olympia, the Bridges/Goldberg House is connected with women’s history in two ways. It was built in 1923…

Bryan House

Location: 1510 Water St SW local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Bryan House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Bryan House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Mary Arnold Bryan, a widowed employee of the State Office of Public Instruction, purchased this lot in 1908 and built the home in 1910. It…

Buell House

Location: 301 21st Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Buell House, 1939, State Archives, Thurston County Assessor Buell House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Buell House was built in 1931 by Arthur and Naomi Buell, who lived here until the early 1980s. Mr. Buell was a bridge builder for the State of Washington, and incorporated…

Burford House

Location: 1517-1519 Columbia St SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History   Burford House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Burford House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Burford House is the fourth location in our Where Are We? feature to be associated with the pioneer Yeager family. Ida Yeager Burford’s grandfather,…

Butler Cove/The Firs

Location: 3316 Windolph Lp NW Transportation, Women’s History Butler’s Cove, Presbyterian Picnic, 1884, Image courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Butler Cove today (2012), Photo by Deb Ross The French and Brown families were early pioneers in Olympia, who staked out Donation Act claims here, at the far northwestern edge of Budd Inlet, soon after their arrival.…

Byrd House

Location: 1106 Olympia Ave NE Local Register, State Register, National Register, Olympia Avenue Local Historic District, Women’s History Byrd House, 1970, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives   Byrd House now (2010), photo by Deborah Ross Listed on the local, state and national registers, the Byrd House is the quintessential Queen Anne style home,…

Capital National Bank building/Site of Turner Block

Location: 402 Capitol Way S State Register, National Downtown District, Wohleb, Diversity: Germans Charlie’s Saloon, probably around 1902, photo courtesy of Washington  State Historical Society US Bank (Capital National Bank building) today (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly The intersection of 4th Avenue and Capitol Way (formerly Main Street) has been considered the center of commercial life…

Capitol Park (or Capital Park) (“1063”) building site (demolished)/Helen Sommers Building

Location: 1063 Capitol Way S Women’s history, Popular culture Capitol Park (1063) Building, 1951, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives Capitol Park (1063) building in 2014, photo by Deb Ross The large structure  pictured here was originally called the Capitol Park (also spelled Capital Park) building but was generally referred to as the “1063” building for…

Capitol Terrace (Capitol Center) Apartments

Location: 1517 Capitol Way S mid-Century modern Capitol Terrace Apartments, 1951, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Capitol Terrace Apartments today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross Architectural historian Michael Houser notes that the Capitol Terrace Apartments on Capitol Way south of the campus are a relatively rare local example of the International style, developed in the 1920s…

Centennial Park/Daniel Evans Tree/Rossell O’Brien House site

Location: 201 Union Ave SE Heritage Tree   O’Brien home in the background, 1949, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Centennial Park today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Rossell O’Brien, an Irish immigrant, fought in the Civil War, and arrived in Olympia in 1870, appointed as revenue collector under Governor Salomon. He married Fanny Steele, daughter of…

Century 21 “welcoming pole” (fragments only remaining)

Location: 211 21st St SW mid-Century modern; South Capitol National Historic District; Popular Culture   Welcoming pole installed at State Capital Museum 1963, Daily Olympian photo courtesy Washington State Historical Society Century 21 pole in 2015, photo by Deborah Ross The 1962 Century 21 World’s Fair in Seattle was a major event Puget Sound, garnering attention,…

Chambers, Andsworth/Flo and Doane Brodie House

Location: 1821 Water St SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood, Women’s History   Andsworth Chambers/Flo Brodie House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Andsworth Chambers/Flo Brodie House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Although modest in size, this home in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood is associated with two prominent Olympia citizens. Andsworth…

Chandler/Brown House

Location: 2415 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Chandler-Brown House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Chandler-Brown House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel This attractive Spanish revival style home was built in 1930 by the Chandler family. For several years it was owned by teacher Leland Brown, for whom…

Chaplin House

Location: 425 Rogers St. NW Local Register Chaplin House in 1939, photo from  Thurston County Assessor, Washington  State Archives   Chaplin House today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross  The Chaplin House at 425 Rogers Street was occupied for many years by Emery Chaplin, son of JR Chaplin, who was a Congregational minister turned real estate developer.…

Charlie’s Tavern

Location: 620 4th Ave E Popular culture Charlie’s Restaurant, 1954,  Thurston County Assessor, S0uthwest Regional Archives Charlie’s Tavern today (2015) photograph by Deb Ross  Depending on how you calculate it, several downtown taverns can claim to be the oldest in the city. One of them is Charlie’s Tavern, at 640 Fourth Avenue East (the Spar and the Brotherhood…

China Clipper (Clipper Club Cafe)/Haskins and Peele/Williston Notions Shops site

Location: 406 4th Ave E Transportation; Diversity: Chinese; Popular culture Haskins and Peele Shoe Shop about 1914, Esterly photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society China Clipper Club Cafe today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross Fourth Avenue as it worked its way east towards the Swantown Bridge was an important commercial section of town, with stores…

Chinatown

Location: 123 5th Ave SW Diversity: Chinese Heritage ; Downtown National Historic District Chinatown around 1902, photograph from National  Archives, Pacific Alaska Region Location today (2003), Photo by Ed Echtle Although the Chinese population of Olympia was historically spread throughout the city, the group of buildings known as “Chinatown” was a focal point for the commercial,…

Christensen House

Location: 2020 Water St SW Local register, South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Christensen House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor,  Southwest Regional Archives Christensen House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This house was built for attorney Frank Christensen in about 1920. A distinguished Craftsman-style home, it features a “rolled roofline,” which is unusual for Olympia, although…

Christensen Radio/Avalon Annex

Location: 108 Franklin St. NW Local Register; Popular Culture Avalon Annex building, 1964, Southwest Regional Archives Christensen Radio/Avalon Annex Building today (2017), photo by Deborah Ross The Avalon Annex was added in 1949 to the Avalon Theater and Avalon Office complex, extending along Franklin Street. It housed a number of commercial establishments, including Christensen Radio and Fox’s clothing store. It was the…

Christian Science Church/Temple Beth Hatfiloh/site of Rosenthal Home

Location: 201 8th Ave SE Religious institutions; Diversity: Jewish heritage Christian Science church, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society Temple Beth Hatfiloh (Christian Science building) today (2014), photo by Deb Ross A group of Christian Science students began to meet in Olympia early in the 20th century. According to historian Bernice Sapp, they met in the…

Clark House

Location: 147 Rogers St NW Clark House, 1970, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Clark House today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross The Clark House is a large Craftsman style home at the corner of Rogers Street and Harrison Avenue. It was built in about 1920 for Robert Stillman Clark. Although the home has experienced many changes,…

Clark, John House

Location: 2932 Orange St. SE Wohleb John Clark House 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives John Clark House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The John Clark House is one of several concrete brick homes built around 1940 in the neighborhood of Eskridge and  Orange Streets, in the Stratford Place plat that was developed by Frederick Schmidt…

Clemons House

Location: 418 18th Ave SE Local register, South Capitol National Historic District Clemons House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Clemons House today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross This small bungalow with a somewhat unusual hipped roof was built for John and Della Clemons in 1919. Originally from Germany, John Clemons had a business in the…

Cloverfields

Location: 1100 Carlyon Ave SE National, State, and local registers; Wohleb Cloverfields, ca. 1930s, Olympia School District No. 111 Records, Southwest Regional Archives (detail) Cloverfields today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross Hazard Stevens, son of first territorial governor Isaac I. Stevens, is an important personage in Olympia’s history. Arriving here with his father at age…

Cloverfields Farm site/third Olympia High School site

Location: 1302 North St SE mid-Century modern; schools Cloverfields Farm, ca. 1930s, Olympia School District No. 111 Records, Southwest Regional Archives (detail) Olympia High School today (2013), Olympia School District In 1914, at age 70, Hazard Stevens, son of first territorial governor Isaac Stevens, returned to Olympia from practicing law in Boston (for more on…

Columbia Manor Apartments/site of John Gowey house/Site of Tilton House

Location: 1009 Columbia St SW Women’s history; Diversity: African-Americans Gowey house around 1891, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Columbia Manor Apartments today (2012) photograph by Deb Ross  The history of the home known as the Tilton House is not completely clear. According to historian Georgiana Blankenship’s account, James Tilton, the first Surveyor…

Congregational Manse (Anderson House)

Location: 110 10th Ave SW Religious organizations; Local register Congregational Manse, 1954, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Congregational Manse now (2013), photo by Deb Ross Although unpretentious in style, the Congregational Manse (sometimes referred to as the Anderson House) on 10th Avenue is significant for its connection with an early church of Olympia, First Congregational, which was next door…

Cook, Dr. Lucie site/Olympia Electric

Location: 314 Franklin St NE Women’s History Dr. Lucie Cook’s residence and practice around 1914, Robert Esterly photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Olympia Electric building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross   The series of photographs of Olympia’s business establishments, taken by photographer Robert Esterly in 1914, offers a wonderful snapshot of Olympia…

Counsil House

Location: 231 Central St NE Wohleb Counsil House, 1970, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Counsil House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This unassuming home was built between 1927 and 1929 with a design by Olympia’s preeminent architect, Joseph Wohleb. Once again Wohleb demonstrates his breadth of abilities by taking a standard bungalow design and…

Cowling Building

Location: 117 Washington St NE Downtown National Historic District; popular culture Cowling Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Cowling Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This utilitarian building was erected in 1926 and, until the mid-60s was operated as a hotel on the second floor and a tavern or restaurant on the ground…

Crocker House

Location: 3116 Lorne St SE Local register Crocker House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Crocker House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This modest bungalow was built about 1920, in the early years of the development of the Carlyon Neighborhood. Fred Carlyon owned the property around the Carlyon Racetrack and the local ballfield and…

Crombie House

Location: 1512 Columbia St. SW Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Crombie House 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Crombie House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross The Crombie House was built some time between 1907 and 1915 by Johanna and Jacob Lenherr, and later sold to the Crombie family. If the 1907…

Crow House

Location: 1610 Water St SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Crow House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Crow House today (2015) photo by Deb Ross The Crow House was built around 1910 and is one of the finer examples of a Foursquare style home in the South Capitol National Historic District. It is inventoried but not…

Cunningham House

Location: 311 19th St SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Cunningham House, 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Cunninghan House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Cunningham House is an unusual and beautifully preserved example of an Art Moderne style home in the South Capitol neighborhood. G.B. Reishus was the architect for the home, which…

Cunningham’s Building/Site of First Methodist-4th Avenue

Location: 325 4th Ave E Local register, Religious Institutions Scott’s Grocery (Cunningham’s Building), 1914, photo by Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Cunningham’s building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross The building currently known as the Cunningham’s Building was erected in 1896 and is the oldest surviving “pioneer-style” commercial building in downtown…

Curtiss House

Location: 903 Glass Ave NE Local register; Women’s History Curtiss House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Curtiss House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Curtiss House on Glass Avenue, across the street from the Bigelow House, is described as a Victorian cottage, built around 1903. The owners have taken pains to preserve the charm of…

Dairy Queen building/site of Washington Equal Suffrage Association

Location: 1050 Capitol Way S Wohleb; mid-Century modern; Transportation; Women’s history Dairy Queen building 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Dairy Queen Building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross It is difficult to imagine Capitol Way and Fourth Avenue more congested than they are today, but such was the case after 1926, when these…

Davis’ Brown Derby

Location: 1003 Capitol Way S Wohleb; Transportation Menu cover from Davis’ Brown Derby, private collection Davis’ Brown Derby Building today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The Davis’ Brown Derby restaurant opened on Capitol Way in 1935, by George and Martha Davis. The Davises moved here from Centralia, where they had operated another small restaurant. Architect Joseph…

Dawley, L.E. House

Location: 119 22nd Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District L.E. Dawley House, 1956, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives L.E. Dawley House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This beautifully maintained Spanish Colonial home was built in about 1929 by Leo E. Dawley, one of the two Dawley Brothers contractors who were responsible for many…

Dawley (120 Union) building and 1007 Washington Building

Location: 120 Union Ave SE and 1007 Washington St SE mid-Century modern Dawley (120 Union) Building, 1960s, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Dawley Building today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross Two side-by-side buildings are representative of the work of the Dawley Brothers, who were responsible for many of the early and mid-century commercial buildings downtown, as well as…

Deane Apartments

Location: 515 Adams St SE Deane Apartments, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Deane Apartments today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This handsome Mission-style apartment building was erected in 1935, and has changed very little since then. It is known for the palm trees that complement the tropical appearance of the building. Additional resources: Olympia Heritage inventory Looking…

Department of Enterprises Services (GA)/First Site of St. Peter Hospital

Location: 210 11th Ave SW and adjacent monument Religious institutions; Women’s History; National Register (GA Building); mid-Century modern   St. Peter Hospital, ca. 1890, private collection Department of Enterprise Services (GA) building today (2013), Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation The original St. Peter Hospital, shown at left above, was located on a site opposite…

Dick Lewis Pontiac Cadillac Dealership (demolished)

Location: 1100 Plum St SE Transportation; mid-Century modern Dick Lewis Pontiac Cadillac, 1964, Tacoma Public Library Photograph collection Hulbert Auto Park in 2015, photo by Deb Ross The Dick Lewis Pontiac Cadillac building was a bold departure from the largely utilitarian automobile dealerships that dotted the transportation corridors of Olympia and its surrounding landscape. Built in…

Dolliver building (former Post office)/Site of Olympia Hotel/George Foster home

Location: 801 Capitol Way S National Register, State Register, Local register;  Women’s History; Religious Institutions Olympia Hotel, ca. 1890, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Dolliver Building (old Post Office) today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly In the 1880s, it became apparent that Olympia was in urgent need of a hotel that could accommodate the…

Donald Building

Location: 205 5th Ave SE Downtown National Historic District; Wohleb; Popular culture Donald Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Donald Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The inventory listing for this building notes: “One of Joseph Wohleb’s finest commercial designs in the Mission Revival mode, and one of the best preserved small…

Donoghue/McCaughan House

Location: 1212 Olympia Ave NE Local register; Olympia Avenue Historic District Donoghue/McCaughan House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Donoghue/McCaughan House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Donoghue/McCaughan House is a large, well-preserved Dutch Colonial located on a large lot at the east end of the Olympia Avenue Local Historic District. The home was built…

Dufault House

Location: 1628 Water St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Dufault House, 1965, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Dufault House today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly The Dufault House, on Water Street, was built around 1903 by Charles Dufault, an Olympia commissioner and businessman (see also Dufault Building). It was also occupied for several years…

Dunbar House

Location: 1118 Olympia Ave NE Local register; Olympia Avenue Historic District; Women’s History Dunbar House, 1954, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Dunbar House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Dunbar House is one of the four homes in this neighborhood occupied by the White family women: the mother, Margaret White Ruddell (Ruddell House) and her…

Eagles Club

Location: 805 4th Ave E Wohleb, Popular Culture, Diversity: Gay and Lesbian History Eagles Building 1965, Thurston County Assessor Photo, Washington State Archives Eagles Building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross     Aerie #21 of the Fraternal Order of Eagles was founded in 1899, in the heyday of fraternal organizations in Olympia. This building…

Egbert-Ingham House

Location: 2708 Adams St SE Local register Egbert-Ingham, 1975, in original location, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Egbert-Ingham today (2011), photograph provided by Olympia Heritage Commission The imposing Egbert-Ingham House, sometimes called a mansion, was built in 1914 for Dana Seltzer Egbert and her husband, the dentist Curtis Egbert. It was located near the…

Elliott House

Location: 1603 4th Ave W Local Register; mid-Century Modern Elliott House, 1949, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Elliott House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The Donald & Irene Elliott House is on the local register as an example of post World War II residential construction in Olympia. Built in 1948 at the beginning of the…

Ellsworth Duplex

Location: 211 19th Ave SW Local register, South Capitol National Historic District, Wohleb Ellsworth Duplex 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Ellsworth Duplex today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Ellsworth Duplex is a 1927 adaptation of the popular Craftsman style home by architect Joseph Wohleb, once more demonstrating his range and virtuosity. Ellsworth was a…

Ellsworth House

Location: 203 19th Ave SW Local register, South Capitol National Historic District Ellsworth House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Ellsworth House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Ellsworth House is an excellent example of the Craftsman style typical of this neighborhood. It was built by Harley Ellsworth, a local contractor, who also owned the duplex next door, the…

Employment Security Building/Site of A.D. Rogers home

Location: 212 Maple Park SE mid-Century modern A.D. Rogers House, about 1890 Photograph from Digital Archives Employment Security building today (2012) Photo courtesy of Deb Ross A.D. Rogers was a popular and prolific photographer in the late territorial and early statehood days. Besides being the preferred society and school photographer, he was employed to create…

Faris House

Location: 2920 Capitol Boulevard S Local register Faris House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Faris House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Faris house was erected about 1925, probably by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the Anderson Brothers, who designed ready-built homes. There are over 100 TLM homes in…

Farquhar Store-Legislative Building, Lobby, Armory

Location: 7th Avenue and Adams St Farquhar Store, Jeffers Photograph of earlier drawing of unknown date, Susan Parish Photograph Collection, 1889-1990, Washington State Archives  Farquhar site today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Alexander Farquhar immigrated from Scotland and settled in Olympia in 1858. He worked for several years for Charles Williams at the Olympia Hardware Store, then…

First Christian Church

Location: 701 Franklin St SE Religious institutions; Wohleb; Local register First Christian around 1897, from Lawson, 100 Years of Christian Witness. First Christian Church today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Disciples of Christ (also known as Christian) denomination arrived in Thurston County in the very earliest years of American settlement, when the Longmire family founded a…

First Congregational Church site – Capitol Way

Location: 919 Capitol Way S Religious communities First Congregational Church, Main Street around 1878, Washington State Historical Society collection   Site of First Congregational today,  photograph by Deborah Ross (2017) The First Congregational Church was the fifth church organized in Olympia, in 1874. The building site is another example of the “Musical Pews” phenomenon described in other Where…

First United Methodist Church-Legion Way/Henry tree

Location: 1224 Legion Way SE mid-Century modern; Religious institutions; Landmark Tree First United Methodist Church around 1952, photo from First United Methodist website First United Methodist Church today (2013) photograph by Deb Ross The church building located at the corner of Boundary Street and Legion Way is the third purpose-built location of the First United…

Fleetwood Building

  Location: 119 7th Ave SE Local register; Women’s History; Popular culture   Laying conduit for Fleetwood Building (in background), 1938, Washington State Department of Transportation photo, State Archives Fleetwood Building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Telephone service was first provided in Olympia beginning in 1889, by the Sunset Telephone Company. Its offices moved…

Fleming House

Location: 1717 Jefferson St SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Fleming House, 1942, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Fleming House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Fleming House was built about 1941 for John Gragg, a member of the Olympia Veneer cooperative. It was bought shortly after by the Fleming family, who owned Fleming-Harvey Motors…

Foursquare Church/Capital City Studios (burned down 2014)

Location: 911 4th Ave E Religion, Popular Culture Foursquare Congregation, 1941, Vibert Jeffers photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives Capital City Studios today (2009), photo courtesy Jason Scragz, posted on Flickr This building was originally the Foursquare Gospel church of Olympia, the denomination founded by Aimee Semple McPherson. It was built in 1939 using…

Fox House

Location: 2804 Orange St. mid-Century modern; Diversity: Racial covenants Fox House, 1946, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Fox House today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross Frederick Schmidt and his brother Frank, who were part of the Olympia Brewing Company family, platted Stratford Place during World War II. They built several homes in the subdivision…

Free Methodist Church

Location: 1431 Legion Way SE Local register; Religious institutions Free Methodist church, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society Free Methodist Church building today (2013) photograph by Deb Ross The Free Methodist Christian denomination was founded in the 1860s as an offshoot of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The denomination is considered more conservative and evangelical than…

Funk House

Location: 1202 Olympia Ave NE National, State and Local Register, Olympia Avenue Local Historical District, Women’s History Funk House in 1939, Thurston County Assessor, State Archives Funk House today (2010), photo by Joe Mabel posted on Wikimedia Commons The Funk House, one of the most elaborate Queen Anne homes in Olympia, was built in about…

Garfield School

Location: 325 Plymouth St NW Schools Garfield School in 1919 (original location), State Library Photograph Collection, Digital Archives Garfield School today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly According to Olympia School District historian Esther Knox, the first school near this location was the Westside school on Rogers Street, which served all children in West Olympia and…

Fall 2013 Newsletter – Table of Contents

President’s Message: Merger With Bigelow House Association In the Works, by Mark Foutch (Re)Discover Bigelow House! by Ed Echtle, President of Bigelow House Preservation Association Upcoming Changes on the Board: Thanks (but not Farewell) to Ralph Blankenship, with Statements from Proposed New Board Members Support the Annual Historic Home Tour, Sunday, Dec 8, 2013  History of Egbert-Ingham…

Upcoming Changes on the Board: Thanks (but not Farewell) to Ralph Blankenship, with Statements from Proposed New Board Members

Ralph Blankenship not only personifies Olympia history in his family connections to several pioneer families, he has worked tirelessly to preserve and promote local history by serving on the OHS board and through his support of the Sandman and other maritime heritage resources. President Foutch noted, “Even with all his other community service commitments, Ralph…

Georgia Pacific/Washington Fish and Wildlife Building

Location: 600 Capitol Way N National Register, Wohleb, mid-Century modern Georgia Pacific building in 1950s, photo from DAHP Georgia Pacific building today  photograph from DAHP The plywood industry was an essential part of Olympia’s economy in the early to mid-20th century. Plywood was not only decorative, but used in construction of airplanes during the war. The…

Gibbons House

Location: 1017 Capitol Way S Local register, Women’s History Jessie Gibbons and daughter Catherine, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Gibbons House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross This large Foursquare style house, with an adjoining rear annex, was built in 1918 bv contractor E.B. Crews, for his daughter Jessie (sometimes spelled Jesse) Crews Gibbons.…

Gilbert House

Location: 331 Rogers St NW Local register Gilbert House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Gilbert House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This is another example of the modest but attractive homes that were built by J.R. Chaplin in order to induce immigrants to come to Olympia and participate in the development of his utopian college…

Giles House

Location: 727 West Bay Drive NW State Register Giles House, 1939, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives   Giles House today  (2010), photo by Deborah Ross The Charles Giles House was built in 1885 and is in the Italianate style unusual for existing Olympia homes. It is essentially a tall rectangular building with…

Glass House

Location: 514 Quince St NE Local Register; Religious communities Glass House, 1970, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Glass House today  (2014), photo by Deborah Ross The Glass House near the Olympia Avenue local historic district was erected around 1893, presumably to serve as a Methodist manse, with land donated by Daniel and Ann Elizabeth Bigelow. The…

Glidden Duplex

Location: 1601-1603 Capitol Way S Wohleb; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Glidden Duplex, 1938, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Glidden Duplex today (2015), photograph by Deborah Ross Demonstrating once again the amazing breadth of his talents, Joseph Wohleb designed this classic Colonial style duplex in about 1938, the year the above left photo was taken, for Arno…

Gloria Dei Lutheran first site

Location: Southwest corner Adams and 5th Religious institutions, Women’s history; Diversity:  Scandinavians Gloria Dei Lutheran, 1949, Courtesy of Gloria Dei Lutheran church Former site of Gloria Dei Lutheran today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly Astute visitors to this website may recognize the building at above left as the original First Presbyterian Church building. This building was one of…

Gloria Dei – second site

Location: 1515 Harrison Ave NW Religious institutions; mid-Century modern Gloria Dei Lutheran in 1961, before addition, courtesy Washington State Historical Society Gloria Dei Lutheran Church today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross The Gloria Dei Church building on Harrison Street in West Olympia is the second eccelesiastical building associated with this congregation. The congregation began as a small Mission church…

Goddard House

Location: 212 Rogers St NW Goddard House, 1966, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Goddard House today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross Built in 1905, the Goddard House is one of the older working class homes in this mixed neighborhood of West Olympia. The home is emblematic of the changes that are often wrought, as styles and needs…

Goldberg’s Building/site of McKenny Block/Crane’s Cafe/Yenney’s building

Location: 403 Capitol Way S Downtown National Historic District, Diversity: Jewish Heritage,  Mid-century McKenny Block around 1891, Drawing by Edward Lange from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue 1891, Washington  State Library Goldberg’s Building today (2012) photo courtesy of Deb Ross The McKenny Block was built in 1890 pr 1891  by General T.I. McKenny, a prominent Olympia businessman. It…

Golden Gavel Motel building

Location: 909 Capitol Way SE Transportation; mid-Century modern Golden Gavel Motel, 1960s, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Golden Gavel Motel building today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross The Golden Gavel Motel building was constructed in 1958. At the time, Capitol Way was still part of the main west coast highway, US Route 99. Motels, hotels, restaurants, and other automotive businesses…

Goodyear Tire Company Building/First site of United Presbyterian

Location: 421 4th Ave E Wohleb; Transportation; Religious institutions United Presbyterian Church, undated, courtesy of Westminster Presbyterian Goodyear tire building (2013), photo by Deb Ross  United Presbyterian Church, now Westminster Presbyterian Church, is another participant in the game of “musical pews” described in our listing for Gloria Dei. The church was organized in 1893 in a room of…

Goss House

Location: 208 20th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Goss House 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Goss House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel An early example of the Craftsman style bungalow, the Goss House was built around 1915 for Orville and Mamie Goss. Mr. Goss was Thurston County Superintendent…

Gottfeld’s

Location: 213 4th Ave E Downtown National Historic District, Wohleb, Transportation 4th Avenue looking east, mid 1940s, with Gottfeld’s halfway down on right,  Private Postcard Collection Gottfeld’s Building today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The Gottfeld Building was erected in 1908 by local businessmen Millard Lemon and Henry Mallory (see also Mallory House). In later…

Governor Hotel/Silsby Grocery/St. John’s Episcopal site

Location: 621 Capitol Way S mid-Century modern, Religious institutions Governor House, about 1890 Photograph from Digital Archives Governor Hotel today – Pride Weekend (2012), Photo by Deborah Ross As the capital of Washington State, accommodations have played an important role in the life of Olympia. The photographic record shows the gradual growth and transformation of this…

Governor’s Mansion

Location: Capitol Campus Women’s History, Diversity: Chinese Governor’s Mansion 1955, photo from Digital Archives Governor’s Mansion today (2010), photo from Governor’s Mansion Foundation Text and page researched and written in 2012 by Christina Schaller, Olympia Historical Society/Olympia Heritage Commission intern The responsibilities of governing a state as large as Washington are numerous, but it does…

Gruhlke House

Location: 1114-1116 8th Ave SE Popular culture Gruhlke House in 1991, poster for Olympia punk rock compilation album, courtesy City of Olympia Gruhlke House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This well maintained Queen Anne home was built around 1903 by Rolph Gruhlke, a German-born carpenter. Along with characteristic shingling, columns, and cornices, it has an…

Guyot House

Location: 902 Olympia Ave NE Local register, Olympia Avenue Local Historic District Guyot House 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Guyot House today(2014), photo by Deb Ross The Guyot House was built in 1927 by John Norris, but his relatives the Guyots moved here soon after. It is an attractive Craftsman style bungalow and is…

Hale Block

Location: 502 4th Ave E Local register; Women’s history; Religious institutions Hale Block, 1914, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Hale Block today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly Pamela (or Pamelia) Case Hale – teacher, superintendant, Unitarian preacher, suffragist, and businesswoman par excellence – built the Hale Block in 1891, during a time of great…

Hale House

Location: 902 Tullis St NE National, State, and Local registers, Women’s History Hale House 1939, Thurston County Assessor Photo, Washington State Archives   Hale House today (2010), photo by Deb Ross The Hale House on Tullis Street is a good example of a Queen Anne cottage. Diminutive in size, its exterior is full of embellishments…

Hamley House

Location: 3008 Lorne St SE Local register Hamley House, 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hamley House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Hamley House was built in 1940 for Frederick Hamley, a lawyer, public official, and judge. While most of his professional career was in Seattle and later on in San Francisco as…

Hanson, Louise Duplex (White House Press Building) (demolished)

Location: 1417-1419 Columbia St SW Women’s History  Louise Hanson Duplex (White House Press Building), 1969, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Louise Hanson Duplex today (2015), photo by Deb Ross Louise Hanson, wife of Olympia Oyster Company co-founder Ole Hanson (see O.C. Hanson House) commissioned Elizabeth Ayer to design this rental duplex in 1936. Ayer was the…

Harbst Service Station

Location: 728 4th Ave E Transportation   Harbst Service Station building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Harbst Service Station today (2015), photo by Deb Ross In 1916, at the dawn of the automotive age, this part of Fourth Avenue, down to Capitol Way through Olympia was designated part of the Pacific Highway, the main thoroughfare connecting…

Harbst Tire building/Site of Olympia Fire Co. No. 2

Location: 407 Columbia St SW Downtown National Historic District;  Wohleb; Diversity: African Americans; Transportation Olympia Fire Co. No. 2, 1891, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Harbst Tire Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross It is difficult to imagine that at one time, fire fighting organizations were not only organized exclusively by private organizations,…

Harmon House

Location: 1532 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Diversity: Scandinavians Harmon House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Harmon House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Harmon House is one of several homes that were ordered by catalogue from the Tumwater Lumber Mills Ready Cut Homes. The company was…

Harmony House

Location: 1603 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Harmony House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Harmony House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel Kitty-corner from the similarly named Harmon House, the Harmony House is an early example of the modest bungalows that are typical of the South Capitol Neighborhood.…

Harris Dry Goods/Grainger Stable site

Location: 518 Capitol Way Southeast Local Register, Downtown Olympia National Historical District, Diversity: Jewish Heritage; Transportation Harris Dry Goods Building interior, 1943, Vibert Jeffers photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives As it appears today Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  The block between Fifth Avenue and Legion Way on Capitol Way has always been one…

Hart-Dawley House

Location: 121 24th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Hart-Dawley House 1940, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hart-Dawley House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This elegant masonry English revival home was constructed in 1923 by contractor Leo Dawley, who built several other important buildings in Olympia along with his brother…

Hartung House

Location: 416 Carlyon Ave SE Wohleb Hartung House 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hartung House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross Dr. Frank Hartung commissioned Joseph Wohleb in 1939 to substantially renovate and expand a 1 1/2 story home that was originally at this location in the Carlyon neighborhood of Southeast Olympia. It is in…

Heritage Bank/Site of organization of First Presbyterian/Eads Transfer site

Location: 221 5th Ave SW mid-Century modern; Religious institutions Site of organization of First Presbyterian Church, photograph by Asahel Curtis, date unknown, United Churches of Olympia   Heritage Bank today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly   The first church in Olympia was organized in 1854 at this location, a cooper’s shop owned by Isaac or…

Hibberd & Cole Building/Postal Telegraph/Carroll House site

Location: 522 Capitol Way S Local register; Downtown National Historic District; Women’s History Main Street with Carroll House, 1876 (detail), courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Hibberd & Cole Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross In the early years of Olympia’s settlement, residences and commercial buildings freely mingled downtown. Shown at above left is a…

Hinkle House

Location: 2604 Capitol Way S Local register, South Capitol National Historic District Hinkle House 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hinkle House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross This relatively modest Craftsman/Foursquare style house at the far southern end of the South Capitol neighborhood was the long-time home of Secretary of State J. Grant…

Hollocraft House

Location: 314 Legion Way SE Hollocraft House 1964, Thurston County Assessor Photo, Washington State Archives Hollocraft House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Foursquare-style Hollocraft home was built in 1907 by Thomas Hollocraft, who worked in the State Printing Office. It is one of the few remaining residential structures in the downtown core. The family…

Hosking House

Location: 1404 28th Ave SE local register, Wohleb, mid-Century modern Hosking House, 1940, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Hosking House today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross Frederick Schmidt and his brother Franck, who were part of the Olympia Brewing Company family, platted Stratford Place during World War II. They built several homes in the…

Hotel Olympian/Site of Eugley & Musgrove Millinery

Location: 116 Legion Way SE Downtown National Historical  District, Women’s History Hotel Olympian by Jeffers, 1954. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives Hotel Olympian today (2012), Photo courtesy of Matthew Kennelly When the state acquired the Old State Capitol Building and moved the seat of government to downtown Olympia, it was apparent that downtown accommodations…

Howard Point

Location: East Bay Drive, across from Meyer-Riddle House Diversity: African-Americans Detail from Whitham and Page map, 1890, Washington State Archives     View of Howard Point from East Bay  Drive (2021), photo by Deb Ross As noted in our Pacific House page, Rebecca Howard was a successful restaurateur in the Port of Olympia. She and…

Howell House

Location: 413 Quince St NE Local register Howell House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Howell House today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly The Howell House on Quince Street is an example of one of the many unadorned, yet sturdily built homes that served working residents of Olympia in the late 19th century. It was probably…

Hubbard House

Location: 119 17th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood  Hubbard House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hubbard House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross This well-maintained early Craftsman style bungalow was built about 1910 for C.F. Hubbard, who was State Labor Commissioner. The home is on the local register and…

We Like to Hear from You!

Anne  Kilgannon As President Mark Foutch reports above, the Olympia Historical Society is actively pursuing its mission and goals, and invites our members and readers of this newsletter to join in exploring, preserving and sharing the stories and artifacts of our history. If you have delved into the history of your historic home or pioneer…