Location: 1517-1519 Columbia St SW
South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History
Burford House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives
Burford House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross
The Burford House is the fourth location in our Where Are We? feature to be associated with the pioneer Yeager family. Ida Yeager Burford’s grandfather, William T. Yeager, built a home at the current location of the Bettman Block on Fourth Avenue. Her father, William H. Yeager Sr. and his wife Ida Mossman Yeager built the Yeager House on 10th Avenue. Her brother, William H Jr and his wife Ada built the William H and Ada Yeager home on Capitol Way. Thus, Ida Yeager Burford was well suited to be the first curator of the Lord Mansion after it was donated to become the State Capital Museum in 1942. Burford was also active in many civic organizations and was a proud alumna of the University of Washington.
Ida Yeager Burford’s husband, Richard, was a Commander of the Civilian Defense Corps during World War II.
The English Revival home they lived in near Capitol Campus was built in about 1927, around the time the Legislative Building was completed. It is a duplex, each side identical. The home is not on the local register but is located in the State Capitol National Historic District.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross