Location: 3217 Fairfield Rd SE
Allen House, 1957, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives
Allen House today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross
Built around 1920, The Allen House was originally located near Union and Columbia. It was moved to make way for a state parking garage in the late 1950s. The adjacent Partlow House had been moved the previous year, and the Allen House was moved to its current location, still next door to the Partlow House. It is a fine example of Dutch Colonial style. James Allen, the original owner, was a civil engineer who came to work for the state of Washington and helped to improve the state’s road system, urged on by the automobile industry and federal funds as part of the “‘Good Roads” movement. The home is on the local register.
Washington State Historical Society, enter the following catalog number in collection search box: 2012.123.116
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross