Congregational Manse (Anderson House)

Location: 110 10th Ave SW
Religious organizations; Local register

Congregational Manse, 1954, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State ArchivesCongregational Manse now (2013), photo by Deb Ross

Although unpretentious in style, the Congregational Manse (sometimes referred to as the Anderson House) on 10th Avenue is significant for its connection with an early church of Olympia, First Congregational, which was next door on Main Street (Capitol Way). It is one of the oldest residential structures in this part of Olympia. The heritage inventory and assessor’s data shows the building dating to 1891, but a photograph of the church dated around 1886 shows the manse next door. The 1888 Sanborn map also shows a dwelling very similar in size and shape to the current building. It is on the local register.

More information:

Olympia Heritage inventory

Washington State Historical Society, enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box: C2016.0.8 (View of manse next door to church)

 

This entry was posted in Locations of Historic Interest. Bookmark the permalink.