Location: 201 14th Ave SW
Carlyon House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives
Carlyon House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross
The Carlyon House, or the UPI building, as it is commonly known among legislators, the press, and lobbyists, was erected by Philip H. Carlyon and Edna Rogers Carlyon in about 1921. It was designed by architect Joseph Wohleb, demonstrating once more his versatility and adaptability to contemporary styles. It is a classic Craftsman style home with wide porch, expose roof beams, and gabling.
The name Carlyon is familiar to most local history lovers. Philip Carlyon was a dentist and tireless promoter of Olympia’s growth and development. He was on the City Council, president of the Chamber of Commerce, and served in the legislature (where the proximity of his home would have come in handy once the Legislative building was completed in 1926). Perhaps most importantly, Carlyon spearheaded the so-called Carlyon Fill, which dredged Budd Inlet and added 20 blocks to the city’s core. Edna Carlyon was the daughter of prominent photographer A.D. Rogers, who lived nearby on Maple Park.
The building was formerly occupied by various news organizations who covered legislative matters from here. It was demolished in March 2023.
For more information on the Carlyon family, see the Residents section of this website
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross