Parker/Mills House

Location: 1617 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Parker/Mills House, 1937, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Parker/Mills House today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly The Parker/Mills House is a handsome and early example of the Craftsman style that became increasingly popular in Olympia in the early decades of the twentieth century. It…

Parr House

Location: 1518 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Parr House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor,  Washington State Archives Parr House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This sturdy Foursquare style house was built around 1893 and originally sat at the location of the Temple of Justice. It was moved several blocks when the Temple became the…

Parrott/McIntosh House

Location: 401 18th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Parrott/McIntosh House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Parrott/McIntosh House today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly This is a beautifully restored pioneer style home located in the South Capitol Neighborhood. Thurston County inventory records contain two strikingly different accounts of its dates and owners. According…

Partlow House

Location: 3303 Fairfield Rd SE local register Partlow House, 1956, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Partlow House today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross The Partlow House was built in 1928, and originally located at 1026 Columbia St, near Union Ave. Kenneth Partlow I was in the second generation of the Partlow family, who arrived…

Patnude House

Location: 1239 8th Ave SE Local Register, State Register, National Register Patnude House, 1893, Image from Washington State Archives. State Library Photograph Collection.   Patnude House today (2011), Photo by Deb Ross Charles Patnude was born in Quebec and came to Olympia in the 1880s. He was a builder by trade, responsible in whole or part for…

Patterson House

Location: 926 Bethel St NE Local register Patterson House, 1958, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Patterson House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Patterson home was built in about 1926. It is an attractive, well-maintained Craftsman style home in the “Workingman’s Hill” neighborhood of northeast Olympia. Mr. Patterson was a well driller by…

Pattison-Davis House

Location: 1026 State Ave NE Local register Pattison-Davis House, 1937, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Pattison-Davis House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Jane Wyllie Pattison and James Pattison crossed on the Oregon Trail, arriving in Thurston County in the late 1840s. They settled first on Chambers Prairie, where Pattison Lake took their name. Some…

Pekin Cafe site

Location: 110 Capitol Way N Diversity: Chinese heritage; National Downtown Historic District   Pekin Cafe, 1914, photo by Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Site of Pekin Cafe today (2012), photo by Deb Ross Chinese cooks were present in Olympia from very early days. Often they were staff at private residences (the…

Penney’s Annex Building

Location: 510 Columbia SW Downtown National Historic District; Transportation Penney’s Annex Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Penney’s Annex Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This building on Columbia Street was erected before 1914, and originally served as an automobile garage (see link below). For several years it was an annex store for…

Percival House

Location: 811 4th Ave W Women’s History; Religious Institutions Percival House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Percival House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Queen Anne style home known variously as the Percival House and the Partlow House was built in 1892 on a lot above the Percival Mansion, overlooking the mouth of the…

Percival Landing

Location: 405 Columbia St NW Transportation, Local register, Popular Culture Percival Wharf 1914, by  Robert  Esterly, photo from Digital Archives, State Library Collection Percival Landing now (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly  When Olympia was first settled by Americans, the primary access to the town was by boat, as roads were mostly impassable. Yet boat access…

Percival Mansion site

Location: 190 Olympic Way NW (west end of 5th  Avenue Bridge) Percival Mansion around 1891, Edward Lange drawing from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue 1891, Washington State Library Location today (2012), Photo courtesy of Deb Ross The Percival Mansion is one of the more recognizable structures in early Olympia images. It was built by Benjamin Harned in 1874,…

Peters House

Location: 1516 4th Ave E Local register; Religious institutions Peters House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Peters House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Peters House is a relatively early example of craftsman style bungalows in Olympia. It was constructed in about 1909 by lumberman Joseph Peters. The home also served for a time…

Phillips House

Location: 224 17th Ave SE Local register, South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Phillips House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Phillips House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This comfortable Craftsman style home is from the Tumwater Lumber Mills catalogue and dates from 1922. Its massive round porch columns give the home a neo-Colonial flavor.…

Piety Hill

Location: between Boulevard Bridge and 15th Street, on Boulevard Road Transportation, Schools, Popular Culture Piety Hill School 1903 photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Boulevard Bridge today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  The area between 15th Street and the crossing of the Olympia Woodland Trail (former railroad tracks) was known as Piety Hill, for…

Pinehurst Cottage

Location: 1622 Pine Ave NE Local register Pinehurst Cottage, 1970, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Pinehurst Cottage today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Pinehurst Cottage is a charming example of a local craftsman’s take on the Craftsman style of architecture. It was built in 1924 by Tony Ross, a Yugoslavian immigrant who worked at the…

Plum Street Substation

Location: 712 Legion Way SE Advertisement in Olympia High School’s 1932 annual, Olympix Plum Street substation today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This unique structure was built in 1927 by Puget Sound Power and Light Company (now Puget Sound Energy). It is in a charming French eclectic design and is designed to hide a substation. A…

Porak/Lee House

Location: 2508 Washington St SE Local register, South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Porak/Lee House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Porak/Lee House today (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross Built in 1927, the Porak/Lee House is very similar to many homes built by Tumwater Lumber Mills in this South Capitol Neighborhood, although its exact model has…

Porter House

Location: 1803 Capitol Way S Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Porter House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Porter House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Porter House on Capitol Way, was built around 1903 by Nathan Porter, who was an early pioneer photographer, teacher, territorial auditor, and  clerk. It was also occupied…

Post, J.H. Store

Location: 314 Washington St NE Wohleb Post Store building, 1964, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Post Store building today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This building has been described as one of the best examples of commercial architecture at the north end of downtown Olympia. Erected in 1928, its utilitarian design by Joseph Wohleb is another example of the…

Potts House

Location: 418 Rogers St NW local register, Rogers Street Historic District Potts House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Potts House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Potts House is one of five homes on Rogers Street Northwest that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the…

Preston, Josephine Corliss House

Location: 1502 Columbia St SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History Preston House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Preston House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Josephine Corliss Preston House was erected in 1907, a well-preserved Craftsman style house in the South Capitol Neighborhood, very close to Capitol Campus. The house is associated with Josephine…

Purdue House

Location: 420 Lybarger St SE Local register Purdue House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Purdue House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This modest, well-preserved home in Olympia’s east side was built about 1922. It was owned for several years by Archie and Eva Purdue. Archie worked in the veneer mills downtown, and Eva…

Quist House

Location: 1512 State St NE Diversity: Scandinavians Quist House, 1939, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Quist House today  (2010), photo by Deborah Ross The Quist House was built about 1908 and is a well preserved example of the pleasant Craftsman style working person’s home that was common in Olympia around the turn of…

Rabeck Building

Location: 311 4th Ave E Local register; Popular culture Rabeck Music Store (in next block to the east), Piano Trade Magazine, 1915 Rabeck Music Store building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Ammon T. Rabeck arrived in Olympia in 1888, and after working in the mills for several years, opened up a small organ store at the…

Ralph’s Thriftway

Location: 1908 4th Ave E mid-Century modern Ralph’s Thriftway, 1958, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives Ralph’s Thriftway today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Ralph’s Thriftway opened at its present location between Fourth  and State Avenues in 1956. It was a showcase for the very latest in grocery stores. It was also one of the largest stores…

Raymond House

Location: 1130 East Bay Drive NE Raymond House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Raymond House today (2015) photograph by Deb Ross Perched on a bluff overlooking Budd Inlet, the Raymond House was built in 1922 by George Raymond, a contractor, to serve as his own residence. The stucco facade of this bungalow is relatively unusual for…

Ray Theatre/Timberland Bank

Location: 423 Washington St SE Downtown National Historic District, Popular Culture Ray Theatre, 1914,  Robert Esterly photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Timberland Bank building today (2012) photograph from Timberland Bank website In about 1914, the Zabel family, who owned several theaters downtown, built the Ray Theatre here, pictured at above left, at the corner…

Red Top Taxi building/Site of Cohen’s Confectionary

Location: 113 4th Ave W National Downtown Historic District, Diversity: Jewish heritage, Women’s History, Popular Culture, Transportation Cohen’s confectionary, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   New Moon  Cafe (Red Top Taxi building) today (2012) photograph by Deb Ross  Annie and Barney Cohen operated the confectionary/pool hall at this location in the early 20th…

Reder House

Location: 1207 Olympia Ave NE Olympia Avenue Local Historic District   Reder House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives       Reder House today (2010), photo by Deborah Ross This house, built in 1894, is at the eastern end of Olympia Avenue, formerly Second Avenue. Its comfortable, relatively unostentatious style, is consistent with…

Redpath House

Location: 219 17th Ave. SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Redpath House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Redpath House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross Described as one of the finest homes in Olympia, this house was built by Nathaniel and Lucy Maynard Redpath around 1907. Dr. Redpath was a descendant of…

Reed Building

Location: 520 Washington St SE National Downtown Historic District, Local Register, Women’s History, Transportation As it appeared in about 1935 Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives. As the Reed Building appears today (2012), Photo courtesy of Deb Ross  The Reed Block/Thompson Apartments building was built in 1891 and named after its builder, local attorney,…

Reed Building Annex

Location: 212 Legion Way SE National Downtown Historic District   We have not located a vintage photograph of this building.If you have one to share, please contact us. Reed Building Annex today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross  This small, one-story building is adjacent to the Reed Building, on Legion Way. It was erected in 1946 and…

Reinhart, C.S. House

Location: 1112 Olympia Ave NE Local register, Olympia Avenue Historical District Reinhart House 1981, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives   Reinhart House today (2012), photo by Deborah Ross Captain Caleb S. Reinhart (nickname “Cap”) was a son of Olympia pioneers Stephen Reinhart and Sarah Cock. He built this home in 1891, next door…

Revell House

Location: 116 21st Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic District; mid-Century modern Revell House, 1940, State Archives, Thurston County Assessor Revell House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel Built in 1940, the Revell House has a strikingly mid-Century modern feel to it, consistent with the status of its original owner, who was a treasurer of the cooperative Olympia…

Robbins House

Location: 606 Central NE Robbins House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Robbins House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Robbins House is an excellent and well preserved example of the Pioneer style that is common in the Bigelow Highlands of Olympia’s East Side. The Robbins family arrived here in about 1880, and several…

Robbins-Mallett House

Location: 907 Olympia Ave NE Local register, Olympia Avenue Local Historic Neighborhood Robbins-Mallett House, 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Robbins-Mallett House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This fine early Craftsman-style home was built in 1915 by Edwin J. Robbins, member of an early Olympia family. Robbins built several homes in Olympia’s east side, soon…

Rockway-Leland Building

Location: 119 Washington St NE Downtown National Historic District; Wohleb; mid-Century modern; popular culture Rockway-Leland Building, around 1941, courtesy Michael Houser Rockway-Leland Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Rockway-Leland Building was constructed in phases, and is really two buildings. The “ell” on the north side (to the right in the photographs above) was built…

Romanousky House

Location: 1220 4th Ave E Women’s history Romanousky House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Romanousky House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This attractive and well-maintained Tudor Revival house on 4th Avenue east was built by Annastazie (Anna) Romanousky, or Romanowsky. She was an immigrant from Czechoslovakia who arrived here in 1922. She operated…

Ross, Hugh House

Location: 1705 Capitol Way S Local register; South Capitol National Historic District   No historic photograph has been located; if you have one we can scan, please contact us Ross House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Ross House was built in 1892 for Hugh Ross, a downtown drugstore owner, who had businesses in the…

Roys House

Location: 423 Olympic Way SW Local register; Wohleb Roys House in 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Roys House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Hartman Roys was a supervisor at the Port of Olympia and, around 1939, commissioned architect Joseph Wohleb to build this home overlooking the Deschutes Estuary and on out Budd Inlet to the port.…

Ruddell House

Location: 901 Olympia Ave NE Local register, Olympia Avenue Historic District, Women’s history Ruddell House 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Ruddell House today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The Ruddell House at the corner of Olympia Avenue and Pear Street is the southern anchor of the influence of the matriarchal White family in this…

Schmidt, Frederick W. and Elsa House (Capitol Way)

Location: 2613 Capitol Way S Local Register, South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Frederick W. and Elsa Schmidt House, 1946, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives     Frederick W. and Elsa Schmidt House today (2017), photo by Deborah Ross Frederick W. and Elsa Schmidt arrived home after their honeymoon and immediately began searching for a home site. Schmidt was…

Schmidt, Trueman and Virginia House

Location: 2932 Maringo Rd SE mid-Century modern; State Historic Register; Wohleb Trueman Schmidt House, 1950, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives   Trueman Schmidt House today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross The Trueman and Virginia Schmidt house in the Governor Stevens neighborhood is one of several in Southeast Olympia designed by the Wohleb firm, and also one…

St. John’s Episcopal

Location: 114 20th Ave SE Religious institutions; mid-Century modern; South Capitol National Historic District St. John’s Episcopal, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society St. John’s Episcopal Church today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross The St. John’s Episcopal Church building on 20th Avenue, in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood, is the third building associated with this congregation (see…

St. Michael Parish – first sites

Location: west side of Columbia St. between 10th and 9th Avenues Religious communities St. Michael Parish, around 1890, from centennial booklet, 1976   Site today,  photograph by Deborah Ross (2017) St. Michael Parish had three structures on the west side of Columbia St. between 10th and 9th Avenues, between 1879 and 1965. The parish was created in 1875,…

Thorp Motors building (south end)/Parker and Colter/first Territorial Legislature site/Gold Bar restaurant site

Location: 222 Capitol Way N Diversity: Chinese; Transportation Gold Bar Restaurant about 1900, photograph by W.A. Van Epps, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Thorp Motors building today (south end) (2014), photo by Deb Ross As can be seen from the long name for this site, it plays a rich and important role in Olympia’s…

Thorp Motors Building (north end)/first Masonic meeting place/Washington Hotel

Location: 222 Capitol Way N Transportation; Local Register New England Hotel in background, 1913, , courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Thorp Motors building today (portion) (2014), photo by Deb Ross In the early days of American settlement of Olympia, all commercial establishments were located north of 3rd Avenue (now State Street), to take advantage…

Thurston County Courthouse complex

Location: 2000 Lakeridge Dr SW midCentury modern   No vintage photograph for the complex has been located.  Location today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Officially opened in June 1978, this courthouse stands on what was historically “Mottman Hill.” The multi-building design features contributions from three local architectural firms—Building 1,  designed by  Falter-Masini Architects; Building 2,  designed…

Rudkin House

Location: 1005 Olympia Ave NE Local, State and National Registers, Olympia Avenue Local Historic District Rudkin House, photo by Adah Dye about 1936, courtesy State Capital Museum Collection, Washington State Historical Society   Rudkin House today (2010), photo by Deb Ross One of the largest and most imposing of the beautiful homes on Olympia Avenue,…

Music Studio

Location: 1513 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Music Studio, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Music Studio today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel An early and excellent example of the Craftsman style bungalow typical of the South Capitol neighborhood, the Music Studio was built around 1914. It received its…

Safeway Building

Location: 507 Capitol Way S Downtown National Historic District Safeway Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Safeway Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This building was erected in 1929, with Phillips and Newell as contractors. Its tiled roof and fixed awnings blend well into the overall look of downtown Olympia. The building…

Mustard House

Location: 1617 Capitol Way S South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History Mustard House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Mustard House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Mustard House on Capitol Way in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood is one of the most prominent homes in the neighborhood. Designed in the Queen Anne style, it…

Sanderson House

Location: 419 Central St SE Local register Sanderson House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Sanderson House today (2013), photograph by Deborah Ross John Sanderson, a native of Nova Scotia, arrived in Olympia in the 1880s. He built this home around 1914 and he and his wife Annie lived here for many years. It…

Sand Man Tug

Location: Swantown Marina (currently in dry dock) National, State and Local Registers, Transportation   Sand Man, 1930s, from Tug Sand Man website   Sand Man today (2013), photo by Deb Ross   The tug Sand Man is a beloved emblem of the once-robust maritime industry in Olympia. It was built in 1908 and originally hauled…

Sandberg House

Location: 208 Percival Street NW Local Register   Sandberg House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives     Sandberg House today (2024), photo by Deb Ross   The Sandberg house was built in 1923 for John O. Sandberg and Ella Marie (Olson) Sandberg. John Sandberg, born in 1875 in Sweden, immigrated to the United…

Schmidt, Frank T. House

Location: 1315 Eskridge Blvd SE Wohleb Frank T. Schmidt House 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Frank Schmidt  House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross   The Frank Schmidt House was built in 1939, across the street from Frank’s brother Frederick Schmidt’s home on Orange Street, in a section of Olympia that was being developed by…

Schmidt, Robert and Jeannette House

Location: 703 Governor Stevens SE Local register Robert and Jeannette Schmidt House, 1940, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Robert and Jeannette Schmidt House today (2014) photo by Deb Ross The Robert and Jeannette Schmidt house is one of several in this area associated with the Schmidt family, founders and owners of the Tumwater Brewery (see Frederick Schmidt…

Schnably/Buckner House

Location: 1307 Brawne Street NW Local register Schnably-Buckner House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Schnably-Buckner House today (2010) photograph courtesy of Luke Howard The Schnably-Buckner House was built around 1885. Although some records date it as late as 1903, early historian Adah Dye believed it was built before the turn of the 20th century,…

Sears Building/Site of First Presbyterian Church and Manse- Franklin St.

Location: 600 Franklin St SE Religious communities; Downtown National Historic District;  mid-Century modern First Presbyterian Church and manse, Franklin Street around 1891, Olympia Tribune Souvenir Edition, Washington State Library Sears Building in 2003,  photograph by Ed Echtle (2003) The First Presbyterian Church was the first church in Olympia, and the first Presbyterian church north of…

Second Church of Christ, Scientist

Location: 1403 Garfield St. NW Local Register; mid-Century Modern; Religious Institutions; Schools Second Church of Christ, Scientist building 1950, Merle Junk photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives Second Church of Christ, Scientist building (Mariah Arts) today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The Second Church of Christ, Scientist congregation was formed in the 1930s and met in various…

Security Building/site of Chambers and Swanton meat market/Mann’s Drug Store

Location: 203 E Fourth Ave. Downtown Olympia National Historical District Chambers and Swanton Meat Market photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Security Building today Photograph courtesy of “Murderbike” via Wikimedia commons Fourth Avenue has always been a hub of commercial activity. Several businesses have located at the southeast corner of Washington and Fourth, including the…

Sekstrom-Paton House

Location: 1606 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Diversity: Scandinavians Sekstrom-Paton House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Sekstrom-Paton House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Sekstrom-Paton House is one of several homes that were ordered by catalogue from the Tumwater Lumber Mills Ready Cut Homes. The company was…

Selden’s/Site of First School/Thurston County Courthouse-Franklin Street/Daily Olympian

Location: 220 Legion Way S Schools; Religious institutions   Daily Olympian (formerly schoolhouse and courthouse) about 1900, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Selden’s Building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross The northwest corner of Legion and Franklin has one of the more complicated histories in Olympia. On this site stood the first schoolhouse…

Seventh Day Adventist Church building/Assembly of God site

Location: 618 Puget St NE Religious institutions; Local register; Women’s History; Wohleb; Diversity: African-Americans Seventh Day Adventist Building, ca. 1950s, used by permission of Olympia Christian School Seventh Day Adventist Building today, photo by Joe Mabel, used by permission  Much of the information on this page is taken from Rebecca Christie’s book, Workingman’s Hill, published…

Sherwood Press

Location: 811 5th Ave SW Local register; Women’s History; Diversity: Gay and Lesbian History; Popular Culture Jocelyn Dohm and Jami Heinricher in Sherwood Press building, 1990s, courtesy Sherwood Press Sherwood Press today, courtesy Sherwood Press The Sherwood Press was founded in 1940 by Jocelyn Dohm, daughter of Edward Dohm. It began in the basement of…

Silsby House

Location: 606 13th Ave SE Local register Silsby House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Silsby House today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross The John and Josephine Silsby House on 13th Avenue just south of downtown Olympia, was built some time between 1887 and 1891, in what is termed a vernacular style. John A. Silsby was…

Simenson Jeweler Building

Location: 217 4th Ave E Downtown National Historic District; Wohleb Simenson Jeweler Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Simenson Jeweler Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Simenson (or Simonsen) Jeweler Building was erected in 1923 and remodeled by Joseph Wohleb in 1930. It was later the Bergstrom Sporting Goods store. The…

Smith, Amanda/Bowman House

Location: 2317 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History Amanda Smith/Bowman House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Amanda Smith/Bowman House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel This English revival style home is a fairly rare example of a brick house, located in the South Capitol Neighborhood. It was…

Smith/Brown House

Location: 1710 Eastside Street SE   Several unscanned photographs of this house are stored at the Research Center of the Washington State Historical Society. To sponsor a scan, or submit your own vintage photograph, please contact us at olyhistory@gmail.com 1710 Eastside today (2012), photo by Deb Ross The house at 1710 Eastside Street was built…

Sparks House

Location: 1018 Olympia Ave NE Local register; Olympia Ave Historic District Sparks House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Sparks House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This charming Victorian-style cottage was built around 1912 by Charles Sparks and his wife Avis. Charles Sparks was listed as a city clerk. The house is on the local…

Spoon Auto Parts building

Location: 114 Cherry NE Wohleb, Transportation Spoon Auto Parts Building (State Ave frontage) 1965, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Spoon Auto parts building today (Cherry St frontage) (2015), photo by Deb Ross The Spoon Auto Parts building at the corner of State and Cherry has been associated with the automobile repair industry since it was built in 1923…

Speckart House

Location: 2601 Capitol Way S Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District: Speckart House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Speckart House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The large Craftsman-style Speckart House was built about 1910 by Joseph Speckart, who worked at the Olympia Brewery (Joseph’s uncle by marriage was brewery founder Leopold…

Springer House

Location: 303 17th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Wohleb    Springer House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Springer House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Demonstrating his breadth of vision and architectural virtuosity, Joseph Wohleb designed the Colonial Revival style Springer House about 1917, around the same time he…

St. John’s Episcopal Church (Second site)/First Baptist Church

Location: 904 Washington St SE Local Register, Women’s History, Religious Institutions; Diversity: African-Americans St. John’s Episcopal Church in 1891, photograph from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue, at State Library First Baptist Church today (2012) Photo by Deb Ross St. John’s Episcopal Church is one of the oldest congregations in Washington, first organized in 1854. For a number…

Stanton House

Location: 2139 East Bay Drive NE Wohleb Stanton House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Stanton House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The Stanton House, on East Bay Drive, was built in 1928 using a design by Joseph Wohleb. The home was owned by Frank Stanton, Wohleb’s partner (see John O’Leary and Dan O’Leary Houses…

Standard Oil Tank Farm/Olympia Gas Company/Mallory Coal/Rosenthal store

Location: 415 Capitol Way N Transportation; Diversity: Jewish history Olympia Gas Company, Standard Oil Tank Farm, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Location today (2012), photo by Deb Ross In the earliest years of Olympia’s history, this part of Capitol Way was waterfront. Stores and maritime businesses lined both sides of the street. Jewish…

Steele House

Location: 1010 Franklin St SE National, State, and Local registers Steele House 1968, State Library, Digital Archives collection Steele House today (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly The only remaining example of a pre-statehood residence in the core of Olympia, the Alden Hatch Steele House has been saved from demolition on at least one occasion and…

State Theater/Site of Thurston County Courthouse, 4th Avenue/Burmeister saloon and residence

Location: 202 4th Ave E National Downtown Historic District; Wohleb; Popular culture;  mid-Century modern Thurston County Courthouse-4th Avenue, 1905, postcard private collection State Theatre today (2003), photo by Ed Echtle The northeast corner of Fourth and Washington was once occupied by a wooden structure built in about 1853, at a time when the center of…

Stentz House

Location: 223 18th Ave SE Local register, Wohleb   No vintage photo has been located for this home. If you have one to share, please contact us. Stentz House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Demonstrating the astounding breadth of architect Joseph Wohleb’s vision and abilities, this gem of a Craftsman bungalow was built in…

Stevens Field

Location: 300 24th Ave SE Educational institutions Olympia and Tacoma High Schools playing football at Stevens Field in 1929, Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection Washington State Archives Stevens Field today (2015)  photograph by Deb Ross Olympia’s first ballfields were located at the current location of the Sunset Life Building near the border with Tumwater, extending eastwards towards the current…

Strom House

Location: 312 17th Ave SE Local register, South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Diversity: Scandinavians Strom House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Strom House today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross This attractive Tudor style cottage was built in 1937 for Emil and Elna Strom. Emil was a Swede-Finn, and a member of the Olympia Veneer cooperative, where he worked until…

Sunset Life building (Capitol Boulevard)/Site of Carlyon Racetrack and Velodrome

Location: 3138 Capitol Blvd SE Wohleb, Mid-Century Modern Velodrome at Carlyon Park, 1890-1900 Photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical  Society Sunset Life building today (2012) Photo from Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation The boundary between Olympia and Tumwater on Capitol Boulevard was not fully determined until well into the 20th century. Just before the…

Sylvester Mansion site

Location: 118 8th St SE Sylvester Mansion 1860-1870 Photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical  Society Site of Sylvester Mansion today (2012)Photo courtesy of Deb Ross Edmund Sylvester co-founded the City of Olympia and platted its downtown in 1848. At first living in a log cabin, he began building his mansion in 1857, hiring local craftsman…

Sylvester Park

Location: 615 Washington St SE National Downtown Historic District, State Register, National Register, Local Register; Women’s History Sylvester Park 1895-1904 Photo from Digital Archives Sylvester Park today (2009) Photo Courtesy of Laura Killian When Olympia founder Edmund Sylvester founded and platted the city, he was careful to include plans that would re-create the New England…

Tamblin/Meyer House

Location: 208 18th Ave SW Local Register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood;  Women’s history Tamblin/Meyer House from Tumwater Lumber Mills catalog, around 1924, City of Olympia Heritage Register Application Tamblin/Meyer House today (2021), City of Olympia Heritage Register Application The Tamblin/Meyer House, like many in the South Capitol neighborhood,  was one of the Tumwater Lumber…

Talcott, George and Addie House

Location: 2003 Capitol Way S Local Register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood George and Addie Talcott House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives George and Addie Talcott House today (2013), photograph by Deb Ross The Talcott family were early arrivals in Olympia and established Talcott jewelers downtown, an establishment that lasted over 100 years.…

Talcott Jewelers building

Location: 420 Capitol Way S Local Register, National Downtown Historical District,  Wohleb Talcott’s Jewelers, 1964, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives   Talcott’s building today (2011), photo by Deborah Ross Charles Talcott came west with his father in 1872 and immediately opened a small jewelry store, housed in a wooden building. His brothers Grant…

Temple Beth Hatfiloh/K records

Location: 802 Jefferson St. SE Religious communities, Diversity: Jewish heritage, Popular culture Temple Beth Hatfiloh, 1985, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation K Records today (2013) photo by Deb Ross Jewish families began arriving in Olympia in 1853 or earlier, and have continued to play important roles in all aspects of Thurston County and Olympia…

Temple of Justice/site of Milo Root and Quincy-Campbell Homes

Location: 415 12th Ave SW Washington State Capitol National Historic District; Diversity: African-Americans Temple of Justice, 1929, Susan Parish Photograph Collection, Digital Archives Temple of Justice today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The Temple of Justice was the first building to be constructed on Capitol Campus following the original Wilder and White plan. It was…

Titus (Smith Troy) House

Location: 1601 Sylvester St SW South Capitol National Historic District Titus (Smith Troy) House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Titus (Smith Troy) House today (2015), Photo by Deb Ross The Titus House lies at the far northwest corner of the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood, and adjacent to Capitol Campus. It has been characterized as the…

Todd House

Location: 403 17th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Todd House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Todd House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Todd House was built by Charles and Jessie Smith Todd about 1912. Todd was a pastor of the Methodist Church. The house is an…

Tracey House

Location: 702 Boundary St SE Tracey House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Tracey House today (2010), photo by Deb Ross The Tracey House is described in the City of Olympia’s inventory  as “one of the most outstanding resources on the East Side.” It was built in about 1890, in an elaborate Queen Anne style. The…

Transit-Columbia Bakery building

Location: 105 Columbia St NW Downtown National Historic District;  Wohleb?   Transit-Columbia Building, 1984, City of Olympia Planning Department collection, Washington State Archives Transit-Columbia Bakery Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The building is a well preserved and maintained example of early commercial architecture in downtown Olympia. It is not on the local register, but…

Treat House

Location: 316 17th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Treat House, 1938, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Treat House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Albert M. Treat, a well known early doctor, built this home in 1937. Many physicians built homes in the South Capitol neighborhood in the early 20th century,…

Troy House

Location: 113 17th St SE Local register, South Capitol National Historic District Troy House, 1939, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives    Troy House today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross  This understated yet comfortable and elegant Queen Anne cottage was the home of Preston M. Troy, who graduated from the Olympia Collegiate Institute…

Turpin home site/Remodeled Penney’s Building

Location: 521 Capitol Way S Olympia Downtown Historical District, Diversity: Chinese heritage; mid-Century modern Peterfield Turpin house, 1891, Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue, Washington State Library Site today (2012), Photo by Deborah Ross In 1879, the Bird’s Eye View of Olympia (link below) shows that Town Square, now Sylvester Park, was almost entirely surrounded by residences. The…

Union Block site/New City Hall/Safeway Store site

Location: 601 4th Ave E mid-Century modern (Safeway Building) Union Block 1894, Image courtesy of Washington State Historical Society City Hall today (2012), Photo by Matthew Kennelly The two photographs above dramatically illustrate the transformation wrought by the succession of fills that have shaped Olympia over the years. This location is between Chestnut and Cherry Streets on…

Union Pacific Depot

Location: 407 4th Ave E Transportation Union Pacific Depot, 1925, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Union Pacific Depot building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Union Pacific Depot building was built in 1916 when a 7 mile UP spur was brought to downtown Olympia. Although it carried some passengers, its primary cargo was bound for…

Unitarian Church site

Location: Southwest corner 9th and Franklin Religious institutions, Popular culture Unitarian Church, 1891, drawing by Edward Lange, from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue, Washington State Library Parking lot of First Baptist (2013), photo by Deb Ross Yet another “paved Paradise” in downtown Olympia, this was once the site of the Unitarian Church. The church originally met in a…

United Churches of Olympia

Location: 110 Eleventh Ave SE Religious institutions United Churches of Olympia, around 1960, United Churches of Olympia collection United Churches of Olympia today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The United Churches of Olympia is a federated congregation  of the First Congregational Church of Olympia and the First Presbyterian Church of Olympia. Both of these institutions are…

Van Epps building

Location: 107 Capitol Way N Downtown National Historic District Van Epps Building, ca. 1895, Courtesy Washington State Historical Society Van Epps building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Theodore C. Van Epps arrived in Olympia in 1870 and soon went into partnership with Samuel Woodruff and his stepfather A.J. Burr to run a stationery and…

Vance House

Location: 321 17th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Vance House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Vance House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This English Revival style home was built around 1925 for Thomas and Gertrude Vance. Thomas Vance was an attorney, practicing in the same firm as Frank…

Walker Building

Location: 500 Capitol Way S Local Register, National Historic Downtown District, Wohleb Musgrove Shoe Store about 1917, Image courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Walker Building today (2012), Photo by Matthew Kennelly Built in 1917 on one of the most important corners in downtown Olympia, the Walker Building is typical of commercial structures that were being built…

Ward Building

Location: 317 4th Ave E Local Register; Popular culture Olympia Vocational Technical Institute, from South Puget Sound Community College website Ward Building today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The buildings leading eastward on Fourth Avenue from the core of downtown Olympia remained solidly retail-oriented up to the bridge to Swantown in the early 1900s.  In 1928…

Ward, Samuel House

Location: 137 Sherman St NW Local register, Women’s history Samuel Ward House, 1970, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Samuel Ward House today (2009), photo by Deb Ross The Samuel Ward House was built by a member of the pioneer Ward family, who owned a lumber mill on the Deschutes River in Tumwater. The home was built…

Ward-Levenhagen House

Location: 432 Rogers St NW local register, Rogers Street Historic District Ward Levenhagen House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Ward Levenhagen House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Ward Levenhagen House is one of five homes on Rogers Street Northwest that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was…

Warmoth House

Location: 1801 4th Ave E Warmoth House, 1966, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Warmoth House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The Warmoth House was erected by George Warmoth, a railroad freight operator, in 1910. It is built in an interesting and unique combination of Prairie and Craftsman styles, earning it a place in Olympia’s inventory. It…

Warnica and Warnica

Location: 202 9th Ave SW Warnica and Warnica Building, 1966, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Warnica and Warnica Building today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This building was erected as a mortuary by A.O. Warnica and his son Earl, in 1923. The Warnicas arrived here in 1905. Except for the enclosing in of the diagonal porch…

Washington Mutual Building/Providence Academy site

Location: 825 Capitol Way SE Schools, Religious Institutions, Women’s History; mid-Century modern Providence Academy, 1943. Jeffers, Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives Washington Mutual Building today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross The following text is excerpted from a history of Providence from their archives website, linked below. The Sisters of Providence established Providence St. Amable Academy, Olympia,…

Washington Standard site

Location: 221 Washington Street NE (corner of Olympia and Washington) The Washington Standard Building as it appeared around 1870 photograph from Digital Archives Site today (2011), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  John Miller Murphy, prolific, opinionated, long-lived editor of the Washington Standard, came to Olympia with his sister in 1851 and, having learned the printing trade…

Washington State Employees Credit Union first home

Location: 520 Union Ave SE mid-Century modern First home of Washington State Employees Credit Union, 1968, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives First home of Washington State Employees Credit Union today (now Secretary of State) (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The following description of this building is taken from Michael Houser’s submission to the  “What Was…

Washington State Library (Joel Pritchard) Building

Location: 415 15th Ave SW mid-Century modern; State and National registers Washington State Library (Joel Pritchard) Building, around 1959, Hugh Stratford Photograph, State Library Collection,  Digital Archives State Library building today (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  The Joel Pritchard building was the first and only structure erected specifically to house the Washington State Library collection. It…

Watkins House

Location: 718 Governor Stevens Ave SE Local register Watkins House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Watkins House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross In the early 1920s, Olof Anderson, one of the brothers who owned Tumwater Lumber Mills, platted this part of Olympia out of the original plat created by Kate Stevens Bates…

Weatherbie House

Location: 1102 State Ave NE Local register Weatherbie House, 1937, Thurston County  Assessor’s files, Washington State Archives Southwest Region Weatherbie House now (2012), photo by Deborah Ross The George and Jessie Weatherbie house on State Avenue was built in 1925. It is an example of the bungalow style that was common in Olympia at the…

Welty House

Location: 115 18th Ave. SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District   No vintage photograph is available of this home; if you have one to share please contact us (Thurston County assessor photograph appears to be different home)  Welty House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross The Welty House was built around 1907 and is…

West Side Chapel

Location: 703 Rogers NW Religious communities, Schools West Side Chapel, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society   West Side chapel today (2012) , photograph by Deb Ross The West Side Chapel was founded in 1891, when West Olympia was growing rapidly. It was associated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, a movement devoted to building…

Westhillsyde (Allen/Beals House)

Location: 726 Percival St SW Local, state and national registers; Women’s History Westhillsyde 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Westhillsyde today, photograph by Deb Ross The West Olympia home known as Westhillsyde is one of the most distinguished in Olympia. It was designed by architects Elizabeth Ayer and Edwin Ivey. Ayer, from a pioneer…

Westbrook House – demolished

Location: 820 5th Ave SW Wohleb; Popular culture Westbrook House 1966, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Westbrook House today (2015), photograph by Deb Ross This distinguished English revival style home was built by architect Virgil Westbrook in 1923 to serve as his own residence. Westbrook was associated with the Wohleb firm and designed other distinguished…

Westminster Presbyterian – 4th Avenue

Location: 1522 4th Ave E Religious institutions Westminster Presbyterian 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society former Westminster Presbyterian church building today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The congregation now called Westminster Presbyterian had its roots in the perceived need for a United Presbyterian church in Olympia. The United Presbyterian denomination was distinct from the Presbyterian Church in the United…

Westside Grocery

Location: 903 Rogers St NW Local register   No vintage photographs of this building have been scanned. If you have one to share, please contact us. Westside Grocery building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Westside Grocery building is a long-time fixture in Olympia, built about 1902. It operated as a grocery store until very…

White Building

Location: 209 4th Ave E Downtown National Historic District Fourth Avenue looking east, 1940s, private collection White Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The White Building on Fourth Avenue, built about 1908, is one of the oldest existing important downtown commercial structures. It was built by Allen White, a co-owner of the Springer and…

White, William G. House

Location: 1431 11th Ave SE Local Register William White house in 1939, photo from Thurston County assessor’s records, Washington State Archives   William White house today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross  The White House at the corner of 11th Avenue and Central Street is another example of the fine Queen Anne/Eastlake style homes built in…

Wickstrom House

Location: 702 Governor Stevens Ave SE Local register   We have not been able to locate a vintage photograph of this house. If you have one to share, please contact us. Wickstrom House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross In the early 1920s, Olof Anderson, one of the brothers who owned Tumwater Lumber Mills, platted…

Wight House

Location: 2501 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Wight House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Wight House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel This English revival style home is a well preserved example of the style which is typical of the South Capitol Neighborhood. It was built about 1926.…

Wildwood building

Location: 2822 Capitol Way SE mid-Century modern, Wohleb, Transportation Wildwood Building, 1950, advertisement in Olympia Centennial Souvenir program,  Southwest Regional Archives Wildwood Building today (2013) photo by Deb Ross The Wildwood Building (also known as the G.C. Valley Shopping Center) was the first shopping center built in Olympia, in 1938. The building was designed for…

Wiman/Jackson House

Location: 313 Quince St SE Local register   We have not located a vintage photograph of this home.If you have one to share, please contact us. Wiman/Jackson House today (2014) photo by Deb Ross The Wiman/Jackson House was built before 1887 in what is now known as the Bigelow neighborhood on Olympia’s east side. (Thurston County assessor…

Winged Victory

Location: Capitol Campus Washington State Capital National Historic District; Arts and Culture Winged Victory statue in 1960s, Susan Parish Collection Washington State Archives Winged Victory today (2012) photograph by Benjamin Helle The winged victory monument on Capitol Campus, honoring those who served in World War I, was first conceived in 1919. Plans were approved in 1927,…

Winstanley House

Location: 127 17th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Winstanley House 1938, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Winstanley House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross This house was built about 1910 by Guy Winstanley, who was a partner with Robert Blankenship in a downtown tobacco shop (see article Meet the Yantises…

Winters House

Location: 436 Rogers St NW local register, Rogers Street Historic District Winters House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Winters House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Winters House is one of five homes on Rogers Street Northwest that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the…

Wisniewski House

Location: 2013 Boundary St SE Local Register; Wohleb Wisniewski House, late 1940s, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives  Wisniewski House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The charming but modest Wisniewski House was designed in around 1948 by Joseph Wohleb toward the end of his long illustrious career. It is a simple one story clapboard home with attached…

Wohleb, Robert Cottage

Location: 2902 Orange St. mid-Century modern; Wohleb (Robert); local register   Vintage photograph has not been located; if you have one to share, please contact us Robert Wohleb Cottage today (2013), Photo by Deb Ross Robert Wohleb was the son of Olympia’s premier architect, Joseph Wohleb, and designed many of the mid-Century modern buildings in Olympia…

Wohleb, Joseph House

Location: 122 21st St SW Wohleb; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Joseph Wohleb House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Joseph Wohleb House today (2015), Photo by Deb Ross This surprisingly modest English revival-style home was designed by and built for Olympia’s pre-eminent architect, Joseph Wohleb in 1923. It is located in the South Capitol Neighborhood…

Woman’s Club

Location: 1002 Washington St SE National Register, State Register, Local Register, Women’s History Woman’s Club soon after completion, around 1908, Photo courtesy of Washington State Historical  Society Woman’s Club today (2012), Photo courtesy of Deb Ross Abbie (or Abby) Howard Hunt Stuart was a member of an influential group of women who set the tone of late…

Woodard House

Location: 1429 West Bay Dr NW Local register  Woodard House, about 1893, Edward Lange artist   Woodard House today (2012), photo by Deb Ross The Woodard family, consisting of Harvey and Salome Eaton Woodard and their three boys Alonzo Bixby (AB), Theodore, and Adelbert Eugene (AE), arrived in Thurston County in the early 1850s. They…

Woodard, Carl House

Location: 1202 9th Ave SW Local register Carl Woodard House 1957, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Carl Woodard House today, photograph by Deb Ross The Carl Woodard House is an early (ca. 1919) and well-preserved example of the Craftsman-style bungalows that are very common elsewhere in Olympia but rarer on the Westside. Carl Woodard…

Woodard, Harvey House

Location: 1114 Woodard Ave NW Local register? Harvey Woodard House 1952, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Harvey Woodard House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The Harvey Woodard House is thought to be the second oldest existing residence in Olympia, after the Bigelow House. It was erected some time between 1858 and the early 1860s by…

Woodruff Building (Labor Temple)

Location: 119 N Capitol Way Downtown National Historic District, Popular Culture Woodruff Block around 1891, Edward Lange etching from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue 1891, Washington  State Library   Woodruff Block/Labor Temple today, with Olympia-Rafah Solidarity Mural Project (2011) Photo courtesy of Deb Ross The Woodruff Block was built in 1887 by local developer Sam Woodruff, a member of…

Work, William W. House

Location: 123 Rogers St NW W.W. Work house 1939, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives   W.W. Work House today (2011), photo by Deborah Ross In the late 1880s, Samuel Woodruff acquired and platted a large part of West Olympia, selling off lots at reasonable prices. Rogers Street was included in the Woodruff Plat,…

Woodruff Park

Location: 221 Perry St NW Diversity: Lesbian and Gay History   We are looking for vintage photographs of Woodruff Park. If you have one to share, please contact us Woodruff Park today (2014) Photo courtesy of Deb Ross In 1889, Samuel Woodruff, member of a pioneer family, acquired a large parcel of land in West Olympia and platted the…

Wright Building

Location: 222 4th Ave W National Downtown Historic District Parrott and Harter, Wright Building, 1914, photo by Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Wright building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross The Wright Building at the corner of Water Street and Fourth Avenue was constructed in 1908 and was one of the…

Wright, Judge D.F. House

Location: 504 17th St SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Wohleb   A vintage photograph of this house has not been located. If you have one to share, please contact us.   Judge Wright House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This English revival home is another example of Joseph Wohleb’s vast architectural repertoire.…

Yantis House

Location: 1855 Yantis St NW Local Register   Yantis House with George Yantis, Sr., 1943, courtesy of the family Yantis House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross The Yantis house is connected with a very early Olympia-area family. George Yantis, Sr. was a prominent attorney and politician, rising to the rank of Speaker of the Washington House.…

Yantis, Robert House

Location: 212 19th Ave SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Robert Yantis House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Robert Yantis House today (2013), photograph Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation The Robert Yantis house is connected with two very early Olympia-area families. It was built in 1911, making it among the earlier Craftsman…

Yeager House

Location: 1409 10th Ave SE Local Register   No scanned vintage photo of this house is available. If you have one we can scan, or would like to sponsor the scanning of the photo linked below, please contact us at olyhistory@gmail.com   Yeager House today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross  The Yeager House on 10th Avenue…

Yenney House

Location: 410 Percival St NW local register; popular culture Yenney (Olof Anderson) house, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Yenney House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This Tudor style cottage is one of eight Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM) homes built along this stretch of Percival Street. TLM made pre-cut homes that were sold throughout Olympia and…

YMCA Building

Location: 510 Franklin St SE Wohleb YMCA, date unknown between 1910 and 1920, General Photograph Collection, Digital Archives YMCA today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The Olympia Athletic Club was founded in 1892 and operated in various locations around Olympia. By the time the first phase of this building was completed in 1910, it had…

Young House

Location: 2002 Capitol Way S Local register; National South Capitol Historic District Young House, 1936, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Young House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This elegant Queen Anne home was built by Theodore D. Young, the son of an early Thurston County pioneer. Young was an early partner of developer Millard Lemon,…

Zabel House

Location: 1912 State Ave NE   Zabel House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Zabel House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This substantial home was built for the Zabel family in 1931 (note a reversal of the last two digits in the inventory sheet, resulting in an incorrect date of 1913 in other documents referring to…

Contact

  For research queries: submit your query by emailing olyhistoryresearch@gmail.com, For website content suggestions and corrections, membership questions, to be added to bulletins, newsletters, and blogs, and all other communications, email olyhistory@gmail.com To contact the Board or for suggestions about programs and activities, e-mail us at: olyhistory@gmail.com To tour Bigelow House: Reservations are not required to tour the…

Membership

Click here to download the membership form or join online. Mail Checks payable to “Olympia Historical Society” to: Olympia Historical SocietyPO Box 6064Olympia, WA  98507-6064. Please include your name and contact information, including phone number andemail address.  Dues also accepted at scheduled meetings. Annual membership dues categories, as defined in our bylaws, are: $10.00 Student/Senior…

Newsletter Editorial Policies

The following policies were submitted and adopted as the Olympia Historical Society’s newsletter submission and publication criteria. 1.       Articles submitted for publication in the newsletter reflect the research and opinions of the author and not necessarily those of Olympia Historical Society. We do not maintain any position on the interpretation of sources that are submitted…

Revisiting Capitol Lake

The previous two newsletters contained articles on the history of Capitol Lake, whose authors maintain divergent conclusions. As our newsletter policies maintain, the Olympia Historical Society welcomes submissions on any subject of local history and does not take positions on the points of view of our contributors. Mr. Miller submitted the following: Unfortunately the membership…

Summer Newsletter: Table of Contents

President’s Message Mark Foutch Preserving the Family Bible Max Marbles Lanny’s and Deb’s Excellent Adventures in Tacoma Deb Ross Meet a Family: Yantises and Blankenships Ralph Blankenship The myth of connection between Wilder and White and Capitol Lake Emmett O’Connell Applied Historiography: Olympia’s Capitol Lake Mark Derricott *** Announcements/Advertisements Lacey Historical Society

Preserving the Family Bible

Max Marbles, Bookbinder Cherish your human connections. A family Bible is a valued volume handed down through a family, in which each successive generation records information about the family history, births, marriages and deaths. Family Bibles, like everything else, suffer the passage of time. Many family heirloom Bibles and books are in extremely poor condition.…