Backlund House

Location: 616 Boundary St SE
Diversity: Scandinavians

backlund_1937Backlund House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional ArchivesOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERABacklund House today (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross

This imposing brick home was built by Frank and Ida Backlund around 1936, shortly before the photograph at above left was taken. The Backlunds were Finnish immigrants. Like many other Scandinavians in our community, Frank worked at and was a founding member of the Olympia Veneer cooperative, an early and successful exemplar of the cooperative movement in the Pacific Northwest. Aside from replaced windows, the home is remarkably unchanged from its original Tudor/Craftsman design, and is well maintained. It has not been inventoried.

Go to next location

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Locations of Historic Interest and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.