David Chambers arrived in this area in 1848, a member of the very early pioneer Chambers family. On the migration west, he brought with him fruit tree saplings and planted them on his homestead in what is now Lacey. One of the saplings grew into a magnificent and well-known cherry tree, which outlasted both the sale of the property to the Mountain View Country Club and then to Panorama City (now Panorama). In this photograph from 1925, David Chambers’s son, Olympia mayor A.H. Chambers, stands by the tree, which is in full bloom. Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. Vibert Jeffers photograph, 1925, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives
Chambers Prairie Cherry Tree – 3/22/2015
This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.