Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives, photograph by Mae Cummins
The Olympia Light & Power Company, organized in 1890, brought the first electricity to Olympia and Tumwater, Washington. The waterwheel-generated hydroelectric power plant at Tumwater Falls also powered the streetcars between Olympia and Tumwater. In 1923 it was purchased by Puget Sound Power & Light Co. This photograph was taken in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Photograph selected and captioned by Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information see olympiahistory.org.