Location: 120 Union Ave SE and 1007 Washington St SE
|Dawley (120 Union) Building, 1960s, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation||Dawley Building today (2014), Photo by Deb Ross|
Two side-by-side buildings are representative of the work of the Dawley Brothers, who were responsible for many of the early and mid-century commercial buildings downtown, as well as some residential construction including the L.E. Dawley House and Hart-Dawley House. The Dawley firm was unusual in having in-house architects. The building at 120 Union Avenue, built in 1956 and sometimes called the Dawley Building, is very similar to the Golden Gavel Motel by the same firm. It is included in the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation’s “Nifty from the Last 50” project.
The building next door, the 1007 Washington Building , not pictured here, was erected in 1959. It still has its period aqua colored siding. It was built on spec by the Dawley Brothers and has housed a variety of offices, many Federal, over the years.
Both buildings were inventoried by the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation under its “Nifty from the Last 50” project.
Washington State Historical Society, Dawley Building under construction, unscanned negative,enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box: C19184.108.40.206.4.2