Attribution: Vibert Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives
This photograph was taken in August of 1939 soon after the Armory building was completed. The building, on Legion Way and Eastside Street, was designed by Olympia’s preeminent architect, Joseph Wohleb, in an Art Deco style. This was a departure from the Mission style that characterized many of his earlier public buildings. The Armory served as a listening post for enemy aircraft during World War II. It is currently the home of the National Guard. Photograph selected and captioned by Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information, see olympiahistory.org.