Goldberg’s Building – 12/18/14

goldbergs

Merle Junk photograph, 1951, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives

The intersection of Fourth Avenue and Capitol Way is both literally and figuratively the center of Olympia. At one time the Kneeland Hotel stood here at the southwest corner; it had to be razed after the 1949 Earthquake. Soon after, the Goldberg family opened Goldberg’s furniture store here. The building design was considered bold and modern, designed by Olympia’s preeminent mid-Century architects Bennett and Johnston. Photograph selected by Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For additional information, visit Olympiahistory.org.

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.