Location: 903 Glass Ave NE
Local register; Women’s History
|Curtiss House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives||Curtiss House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross|
The Curtiss House on Glass Avenue, across the street from the Bigelow House, is described as a Victorian cottage, built around 1903. The owners have taken pains to preserve the charm of this small but pleasingly proportioned home. It was once the home of Carolyn Curtiss, who was a widowed dressmaker operating her business out of the home. By 1910, however, she had moved on, boarding with a family on Chestnut Street, and the home was owned by the Hilyar family, for whom the house is sometimes named. The house is on the local historic register.