The Sanborn overlays: Olympia in 1884

After a shaky start in the late 1840s and 1850s, by the early 1880s Olympia was the most important community in Washington Territory, assisted by its status as territorial capital. Although the center of the city originally was north of Third (State) Avenue, it soon moved south to the intersection of Fourth and Main (now Capitol Way). Downtown was originally a mix of homes, stores, churches, and public buildings. Only a small part of Olympia was covered by this first Sanborn map.

These overlays consist of two individual sheets, which you can turn on or off by clicking on the layer icon (), as well as setting opacity levels for each layer (use right arrow in the layer menu). There is also a layer that contains color-coded dots with links to historical features (see instruction page for more information on this feature). 

To view the map in full screen, link here (external link to ArcGIS Online)

 

This entry was posted in Geographic. Bookmark the permalink.