Location: 301 21st Ave SW
Women’s history; Diversity: Jewish Heritage; South Capitol National Historic District
|Bridges/Goldberg House 1955, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||
Bridges/Goldberg House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross
One of the finest homes in Olympia, the Bridges/Goldberg House is connected with women’s history in two ways. It was built in 1923 for Jesse Bridges, a Supreme Court justice. The design was by Elizabeth Ayers, the first female graduate of the University of Washington Architecture School. Ayers built many distinctive homes throughout Puget Sound, including the similar Westhillsyde on the other side of Capitol Lake.
Since the 1950s this has been the home of the Goldberg family. The Goldbergs were proprietors of the Goldberg’s Furniture Store downtown. They were instrumental in the formation of Temple Beth Hatfiloh. In 2004, Eva Goldberg, a strong supporter of women’s issues and historic preservation, helped lead the congregation to its new home at the former site of the Christian Science Church. Mrs. Goldberg died in 2013.
The home is not on a heritage register, but is located in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood and is maintained in excellent condition.