Vibert Jeffers photograph, December 1957, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives
The J.C. Penney store occupied a prominent position at the corner of Legion Way and Capitol Way in downtown Olympia. The building was originally developed by P.H. Carlyon, a prominent dentist, businessman, and public figure. In the 1990s the building was redeveloped into its current “blank” façade, spurring the city to institute downtown design review procedures. Photograph selected by Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For additional information, visit Olympiahistory.org.