Location: 1063 Capitol Way S
Women’s history, Popular culture
|Capitol Park (1063) Building, 1951, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives||Capitol Park (1063) building in 2014, photo by Deb Ross|
This large structure was originally called the Capitol Park (also spelled Capital Park) building but was generally referred to as the “1063” building for its address at 1063 Capitol Way. It was completed in 1930 by the Dawley Brothers, who were responsible for many of downtown’s commercial buildings (see the nearby Dawley Building and the Golden Gavel Motel. See also the Dawleys’ homes, both on the local register: Hart-Dawley House and L.E. Dawley House). The building was designed in the art moderne style. On the ground floor it housed stores, a bakery, a photographer’s studio, and food stalls. The central entryway on Capitol opened into a ballroom and bowling alley (see the Bowling sign at the top of the entryway in the photograph on the left). On the second floor were lobbyists, studios, and several law offices, including that of early female attorney Julia Waldrip Ker.
The building was demolished in 2015.
Thank you to Shanna Stevenson for additional information about the building.
WSHS, photo of Hill Haus at this site (not scanned), WSHS enter the following catalog number in collection search box: C19220.127.116.11.19.1