Location: 135 Cushing St NW
Local register; Diversity: Scandinavians
Adams House 1939, image from Thurston County Assessor files, Washington State Archives
Adams House today (2010), photo by Deb Ross
The house at 135 Cushing Street NW was built around 1900, or a little earlier, and was owned by John and Elise Adams beginning in about 1902. John was a Finnish immigrant who, like many other Scandinavians in Olympia, worked at the cooperative Olympia Veneer Company. He was also active in the Swedish church, now Gloria Dei. In 1939 or 1940, when historian Adah Dye took photographs of structures over 50 years old, she called it the Mower House, perhaps a misspelling of one of the early owners, the Marry family. This home is another example of a simple pioneer style Westside home in an area originally platted by developer Samuel Woodruff. It was added to the local register in 2013.
For more information follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box): C19184.108.40.206.7
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross