Location: 1510 Water St SW
local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District
Bryan House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives
Bryan House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross
Mary Arnold Bryan, a widowed employee of the State Office of Public Instruction, purchased this lot in 1908 and built the home in 1910. It is a fine and early example of a Craftsman-style home, located a few steps from Capitol Campus. Kenneth and Katherine Partlow II purchased the property in 1953, where it would have been close to Kenneth’s father’s home, the Partlow House, before that house was moved to its current location in the Carlyon neighborhood four years later. The home is on the local register and is located in the South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District. Mrs. Bryan was an active member of women’s groups and a founding member of the Sacajawea chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Olympia Heritage inventory (note that street name is incorrect)
Thank you to Diane Whetstone for finding newspaper articles confirming the date of the home and information about Mrs. Bryan.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross