Location: 515 Eastside St. SE
Schools, Wohleb, Local Register
Washington School about 1891, Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue, Washington State Library
Armory today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross
This location was originally the site of the first Washington School, shown above, which faced onto Quince Street. It housed elementary, middle and high school students. In 1923 the second Washington School, currently the Esther Knox Administrative Building of the Olympia School District, was built nearby and the building was demolished. In 1938, the current Armory (National Guard) building was built. It is a classic Wohleb design in an Art Deco style.
The Armory is no longer in active service to the National Guard, and was transferred to the City of Olympia in 2022 for use as a creative center.
Links to more information:
Digital Archives photo (Washington School)
Washington State Historical Society: enter the following catalog number in collection search box: C1957.134x.15, C1980.22.4, C1963.18.1
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross