Until the early 20th century, Capitol Way (or, as it was known then, Main Street), was unpaved. It was a muddy mess in the rainy season, and dusty in the summertime. The need for a hard surface became urgent with the advent of bicycles and automobiles. Thus, the bricking of Main Street in 1908 was a major and welcome improvement. Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information, see olympiahistory.org.
Vibert Jeffers photograph, 1908, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives