Avalon Theater – 8/31/14

avalonsmaller

Vibert Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives

The Avalon Theater was built in 1928, one of several movie theaters in downtown Olympia. The architect was Franklin Cox Stanton, who adopted the Mission style that characterizes much of downtown’s architecture. This photograph, by Vibert Jeffers, was taken in 1936. In later years this was the Griswold Office Supply building, which burned down in 2004. Today, only a portion of the facade remains. Photograph selected and captioned by the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information see olympiahistory.org

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.