Location: 425 Rogers St. NW
|Chaplin House in 1939, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives||
Chaplin House today (2010) photograph by Deb Ross
The Chaplin House at 425 Rogers Street was occupied for many years by Emery Chaplin, son of JR Chaplin, who was a Congregational minister turned real estate developer. JR Chaplin first intended to found Congregational University on the West Side and acquired several lots from Samuel Woodruff with the idea of bringing families to Olympia to settle, teach at and attend the University. The enterprise never materialized, although Chaplin operated a school in Olympia for a time in the Olympia Collegiate Institute building. See also the listing for the McClelland house nearby, which was part of Chaplin’s original plan. This home is one of the several fine Queen Anne style homes and was built in the early 1890s. It is on the local register.
Washington State Historical Society photograph enter the following catalog number in collection search box: C1922.214.171.124.4
For additional information on the Chaplin family, see the Residents section of this website.