Hursey House

Location: 1309 Bigelow Ave NE Local register Hursey House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hursey House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Hursey House is a small but attractive bungalow in the Bigelow Highlands neighborhood. It was built in 1926 by E.W. Hursey, a local plumber who lived nearby and built other…

Insurance Building

Location: 302 Sid Snyder Ave SW Washington State Capitol National Historic District  Insurance Building, 1920s, State Library Photograph Collection, Digital Archives Insurance Building today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The Insurance Building was the second to be constructed on Capitol Campus following the original Wilder and White plan, after the Temple of Justice. It was…

Israel House

Location: 2732 Capitol Boulevard S Local register Israel House, 1936, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Israel House today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly The George Israel House on Capitol Way is one of the largest and finest houses in Olympia. Built in about 1904, it is a well-proportioned Foursquare structure with pairs of columns and a…

Iverson House

Location: 208 West Bay Dr NW Transportation Iverson House at far right, 1903, detail from Edward Lange drawing, Olympia, the Capital on Puget Sound, Washington, Library of Congress collection Iverson House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Iverson House offers a striking example of the importance of both water and rail transportation before the advent of the automobile…

Jacob Duplex

Location: 1314-1316 Conger St NW mid-Century modern Jacob duplex, about 1959, Thurston County Assessor Jacob duplex today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross When it was erected in 1959, this represented an unusual design for a duplex. As can be seen in a 2002 photograph in the original DAHP inventory, the living quarters were cantilevered over the carports underneath,…

Jacaranda (Genoa’s) Restaurant (demolished)

Location: 1675 Marine Drive NE mid-Century modern   Jacaranda Restaurant about 1983, City of Olympia Planning Department, Washington State Archives   Anthony’s Hearthfire today (2020), courtesy Anthony’s For the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair, the Douglas Fir Plywood Association created a model home called the Century 21 Plywood Home of Living Light. After the fair was…

Jeffers Building

Location: 500 Washington St SE Local, State and National Registers, Downtown National Historic District, Wohleb Jeffers Building around 1914, photograph by Joe Jeffers, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Jeffers Building today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The Jeffers Building, erected in 1913 on the corner of Washington and Fifth Avenue, is one of the first,…

Jeffers, Hugh House

Location: 218 19th St SW South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Hugh Jeffers House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Hugh Jeffers House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The Hugh Jeffers House is one of many in this neighborhood using the Tumwater Lumber Mills precut designs. It is in one of their pleasingly symmetrical Dutch Colonial styles, built in…

Jeffers, Joseph House

Location: 2109 East Bay Drive NE Local register?, Wohleb Joseph Jeffers House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Joseph Jeffers House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross Joseph Jeffers arrived in Olympia as an infant and took an interest in photography from a very early age. He established his own studio in 1904, and hired preeminent architect Joseph Wohleb to…

Jefferson Apartments

Location: 114-118 Jefferson St NE National  Register, State Register, Local Register, Women’s History Jefferson Apartments, 1964, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives   Jefferson Apartments today (2011), photo by Deborah Ross The Jefferson Apartments Building (also called the Allen Hotel) was built by Pamela Case Hale, Olympia businesswoman and educator, who developed several blocks…

Jewett House

Location: 205 Maple Park Ave South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Jewett House, 1947, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives Jewett House today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross In the early part of the 20th Century, Maple Park was one of the more socially desirable locations in Olympia. Gracious and large homes flanked the park, which was planted…

Johnson Building

Location: 700 4th Ave E Johnson Building 1965, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives Johnson Building today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross The Johnson Building was erected some time between 1920 and 1923 and operated as a commercial structure with apartments at the upper story. It is inventoried, but not on the local register, although it…

Jones House

Location: 915 Legion Way SE Local register Jones House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Jones House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This well-preserved Pioneer style home was likely built before 1890, the home of Mark Jones, who was an early Thurston County settler, and a gardener. The Sanborn insurance maps for 1908 show greenhouses on…

Kaler house

Location: 909 Glass Ave NE Local Register Kaler House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives   Kaler House today (2011), photo by Deborah Ross The Kaler House is listed as being built about 1905 for grocer Cyrus Kaler, although historian Adah Dye believed it to be somewhat older. It is an example of…

Kelley Building

Location: 501 4th Ave E Local register Kelley Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives    Kelley Building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Kelley building was erected in 1923 and remains one of the largest commercial buildings in downtown Olympia. John Kelley established his furniture store in here 1904 on the then-Swantown…

Kelly House

Location: 430 Percival St NW Local register Kelly House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Kelly House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Kelly House is one of several homes on Percival and nearby streets in the northwest neighborhood  that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the Andersen brothers…

Kevin House

Location: 2009 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Kevin House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Kevin House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Mission style Kevin House was built in 1928, the same year as the nearby Kevin-Cammarano house. Like that house, it was built by Copeland Lumber…

Kevin/Cammarano House

Location: 203 20th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Kevin/Cammarano House (1938), Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Kevin/Cammarano House today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel This substantial Spanish colonial-style house was built in 1928 by Copeland Lumber Company for the Kevin family. Edward Kevin was a superintendent for the Port Townsend…

KGY Building

Location: 1700 Marine Drive NE mid-Century modern; Wohleb; nominated for Local  Register (2022) KGY Building, 1960s, KGY Archives KGY Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The KGY Building is one of the city’s most distinctive mid-Century modern buildings. The radio station is one of the oldest in the United States, licensed in 1916. It was originally run…

Kincy Hardware

Location: 512 4th Ave E Kincy Hardware building after the 1949 earthquake, William P. Conser photograph, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Kincy Hardware building today (2013), photo by Matt Kennelly The Kincy Hardware building was erected in 1919 and operated as a hardware store by Oscar Kincy starting in 1922. It has changed very little in…

Klaumbush House

Location: 101 Olympic Way SW Local register Klaumbush House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Klaumbush House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross This well-maintained early Craftsman style home was built about 1911 for William and Avis Klaumbush. Klaumbush owned a barbershop in the city. The home is a prominent landmark upland from the…

Kuhns House

Location: 1102 Legion Way SE Kuhns House 1970, Southwest Regional Archives, Thurston County Assessor Kuhns House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This distinctive house at the corner of Eastside Street and Legion Way was erected in 1931 by Guy Kuhns, who was a local contractor. It is an attractive one story bungalow with unusually long…

Lackey Duplex

Location: 2711 Adams St SE Women’s History; Wohleb; Local Register Lackey Duplex, 1947, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Lackey Duplex today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross In the early 1940s, Lillian Lackey, widow of Major John O. Lackey, platted the small Lackey Plat between Capitol Boulevard, 27th Avenue, and Adams Street. She built this duplex in 1945…

Lassen House

Location: 424 Rogers St NW local register, Rogers Street Historic District Lassen House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Lassen House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Lassen House is one of five homes on Rogers Street Northwest that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the…

Lea House

Location: 403 Maple Park Ave SE South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood   Lea House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Lea House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross In the early part of the 20th Century, Maple Park was one of the more socially desirable locations in Olympia. Gracious and large homes flanked the park, which was planted…

Legion Way trees

Location: Legion Way between Plum and Central Local registered site Tree in front of Washington School, probably 1930s, detail from Merle Junk photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives Legion Way trees today (2013), photograph by Deborah Ross The sweet gum and oak trees lining Legion Way between Plum and Central streets were planted in 1928,…

Les Schwab Building (demolished)/site of P.J. O’Brien’s Blacksmith

Location: 217 Columbia St NW Transportation; Diversity: Native American history P.J. O’Brien Blacksmith Shop around 1900, photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Canoe Journey Mural on side of Les Schwab building (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross Even before the 1911 Carlyon Fill project, the Port area north of State Avenue started evolving into…

Lincoln School

Location: 213 21st Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic District; Wohleb; Women’s History; Schools                 Lincoln School, 1925-1935, State Archives, Susan Parish Collection Lincoln School today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel The Lincoln School building was constructed in 1923 with the Mission style characteristic of prominent Olympia architect…

Lord Mansion (formerly site of State Capital Museum)

Location: 211 21st Ave SW National, State and Local registers; South Capitol National Historic District; Wohleb; Women’s History Lord Mansion 1938, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Lord Mansion today (2013), photo by Marisa Merkel Clarence Lord was one of the most important figures in Olympia’s, and indeed the state’s, financial history. Founder of the…

Lowry House

Location: 1627 Dickinson St NW Lowry House, 1937, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Lowry House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Lowry House was constructed in about 1890. At the time, it was located in a remote area of West Olympia, before its rapid expansion in the early 1890s resulting from the establishment of the Woodruff and…

Lucas House

Location: 420 Carlyon St SE Local register Lucas House, 1953, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Lucas House today (2018), photo by City of Olympia This home in the Carlyon neighborhood is a well-preserved example of a Tudor Revival cottage, common to the area. The home was built in 1926; it is well maintained and on the…

President’s Message Spring 2013

By Mark Foutch, President It was ‘Standing Room Only” thanks especially to John Dodge’s great write-up in The Olympian, as we started off the year January 26 with a great program at the Coach House.  Gerry Alexander, Jim Brown and Bill Jacobs captivated the crowd with an informative and entertaining panel titled, “On The Homefront: …

Mallery House

Location: 320 17th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Mallery House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Mallery House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross Naming a house has no set protocol. Sometimes it is named after the first occupant, sometimes the longest, and sometimes the most prominent. The latter reason appears…

Manier House

Location: 1121 5th Ave SE Local register; Women’s History Manier House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Manier House today (2013) photo by Deb Ross This imposing Foursquare style home is unusual for its size in its Eastside neighborhood. It was built in about 1909 and was sold in 1915 to William Wesley Manier and…

Marathon Park

Location: Deschutes Parkway Women’s History The first women’s marathon trials, 1984, courtesy The Olympian Marathon Park today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Marathon Park, first created in 1970 out of fill that extended the park into Capitol Lake, was renamed to commemorate an historic event. In 1981, the International Olympia Committee finally decided to introduce a women’s…

Martin Building/site of Doane’s Oyster House/Harned and Mabie homes

Location: 113-119 5th Ave SE Downtown National Historical District, Wohleb design; Women’s History Doane’s Oyster House around 1880, photograph from Digital Archives Martin Building today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The corner of 5th and Washington was, in Olympia’s earliest years, the homes of builder Benjamin Harned and territorial librarian Jeremiah Mabie, and later the…

Charlene Krise

Charlene’s birth tribe was her mother’s tribe the Colville Confederated Tribes until she relinquished to join her father’s tribe in 1975 after the Boldt Decision. It is from her mother’s ancestry she has cultural connections to the Confederated Tribes Coliville, Yakima and Nez Perce’. Charlene is an enrolled tribal member of the Squaxin Island Tribe-Medicine…

Get involved!

Do you want to become more involved in Olympia’s history and heritage? There are many ways to do so, and we can help. Here are a few: Join the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum and help support our website and programs Donate to the ongoing work of the Society and Museum, by clicking…

Where Are We?

Welcome to “Where Are We?”, a new feature of the Olympia Historical Society website that gives you information about buildings and sites in Olympia. Click here for more information about this feature, or start right in with the interactive map. Locations of Historic Interest 1008 Prospect Ave. NE 219 Percival 2418 Otis 421 Quince 7th…

Researching Olympia – Contents

Articles Bibliography Chinese Olympia Image Bibliography Links to other helpful sites Transcriptions Where Are We? Articles Blankenship: Meet the Yantises and Blankenships Bret: Living with the Pioneers Derricott, Applied Historiography: Olympia’s Capital Lake Derricott: Bush Prairie Farm, Then and Now Derricott: Judge Lee Creighton Derricott: Personal Reflections of a Former Newsletter Editor Echtle, (Re)Discover Bigelow…

Membership

Click here to download the membership form Mail Checks payable to “Olympia Historical Society” to: Olympia Historical Society PO Box 6064 Olympia, WA 98507-6064. Please include your name and contact information, including phone number and email address. Dues also accepted at scheduled meetings. Annual membership dues categories, as defined in our bylaws, are: $10.00 Student/Senior…

Letter From The President

Thanks go to Ralph Blankenship for securing Gloria Dei Church for the general membership meeting, a pot luck dinner, held November 21. The gathering provided a great opportunity for several of us to discuss our recent research activities; the talks included historical tidbits on the Oregon Trail, Lacey, Alaska and of course, Olympia. Congratulations to…

Membership

Click here to download the membership form Mail Checks payable to “Olympia Historical Society” to: Olympia Historical Society PO Box 6064 Olympia, WA 98507-6064. Please include your name and contact information, including phone number and email address. Dues also accepted at scheduled meetings. Annual membership dues categories, as defined in our bylaws, are: $10.00 Student/Senior…

Letter From The President

Greetings from the President, Many thanks to member Roger Easton for organizing yet another successful event honoring Olympia’s sesquicentennial year, this time at Priest Point Park on Saturday, August 22nd. Even the weather cooperated! The crowd enjoyed listening to the old time music played by fiddler Vivian Williams and guitarist Phil Williams. Their descriptive anecdotes…

Membership

Click here to download the membership form Mail Checks payable to “Olympia Historical Society” to: Olympia Historical Society PO Box 6064 Olympia, WA 98507-6064. Please include your name and contact information, including phone number and email address. Dues also accepted at scheduled meetings. Annual membership dues categories, as defined in our bylaws, are: $10.00 Student/Senior…

President’s Message Fall 2012

Mark Foutch, President As you all know, one of our Olympia Historical Society’s most dedicated members, Roger Easton, died  July 2 after a short illness.  This was completely unexpected and sent a shock throughout the entire South Sound historic preservation community.  Roger was a retired junior high school teacher, but “retired” certainly did not describe…

President’s Message Summer 2012

Mark Foutch, President  You might (or might not) have noticed that our first OHS newsletter of the year is later than usual.  We’ve faced some organizational challenges but now we’re back on track, and rolling.At the annual business meeting in January our members elected Tim Ransom and Brian Tomlinson to the Board, but we were…

Queries

Our website has extensive materials and links on Olympia history, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to get started or how to find answers to specific questions. We suggest you begin by entering a search term in the Search button above our Menu bar. If this doesn’t answer your question, we welcome and will…

Olympia’s Historic Chinese Community – Links

Related Sites Chinese and Asian American History Becoming American: The Chinese Experience The Chinese American Experience, 1857-1892 Historical Societies, Museums, and Exhibits: Wing Luke Museum, Seattle, WA The Mai Wah Society, Butte MT The Chinese Historical Society of America The Promise of Gold Mountain: Tucson’s Chinese Heritage Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation Chinese Historical and…

Welcome to “Where Are We?”

This feature of our website includes separate pages for historic locations and buildings throughout Olympia. Each location has side-by-side photographs, with brief descriptions of the history and importance of the location, followed by links to other photographs and information. New locations are being added every day, so check back often! We seek your help in…

Selected Transcriptions and Images from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue 1891

In 1891, the Olympia Tribune published a souvenir issue, consisting of 22 bound pages that were printed and bound at the State Printing Office. The issue contained information on the State of Washington, and on Olympia in particular. It included short biographies and photographs of many of Olympia’s prominent citizens, as well as descriptions and…

Maury House

Location: 1604 Water St SW Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Maury House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Maury House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Maury home is a well-preserved example of one of Tumwater Lumber Mills pre-cut homes. It is in their popular English Revival style, built around…

McArdle House

Location: 223 19th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District McArdle House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives McArdle House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This handsome Foursquare House, with two stories of bay windows, was built around 1906. It is named after long-time residents L.D. and Fannie McArdle. L.D. was a legislator from…

McClain Motors Building/Site of Charley Vietzen home

Location: 703 4th Ave E Transportation, Diversity: German heritage   Vietzen home, with family members, courtesy State Capital Museum collection, Washington State Historical Society Courtyard Antiques mall at this location today (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly In early days, the Swantown Slough separated the commercial part of Fourth Avenue from the residential area to its east.…

McCoy-Trullinger House

Location: 121 19th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood McCoy/Trullinger House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives McCoy/Trullinger House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This Craftsman style house was built by George and Edith McCoy about 1923. It was purchased a few years later by Rae and Truman Trullinger. Mr. Trullinger…

McCormick House

Location: 1702 4th Ave E Local register McCormick House 1956, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives McCormick House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The McCormick House on busy 4th Avenue was originally constructed in 1906 in a Foursquare style. Its grounds included an orchard and livestock, and McCormick, a builder, later platted the McCormick subdivision…

McCully House

Location: 1625 Sylvester St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History; Wohleb McCully House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives McCully House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Demonstrating the vast scope of his architectural repertoire, Joseph Wohleb designed this house for Merritt and Ethel McCully around 1921, shortly after their…

McDonald, W.B. House

Location: 2215 Water St SW  South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood W.B. McDonald House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives W.B. McDonald House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The W.B. McDonald House, erected in 1939, is an art moderne take on a Colonial theme. It was designed by Seattle architect J. Lister Holmes. McDonald owned the Avalon…

McElroy, H.B. Store

Location: 414 Capitol Way S Downtown National Historic District; Wohleb H.B. McElroy Store Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives   H.B. McElroy Store Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This building was designed by Joseph Wohleb and erected in 1926. It originally housed a tavern and stores. The building was redesigned several…

McIntyre House

Location: 123 Cushing St. NW Local Register Joseph McIntyre home around 1900, photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   McIntyre home today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The McIntyre home is one of the best preserved and restored homes in Westside Olympia. It was built by or for Joseph McIntyre, a carpenter who arrived…

McMurry House

Location: 502 Edison St SE Local register McMurry House 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives McMurry House today (2014) Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The McMurry House is located in a quiet residential neighborhood southeast Olympia. A good example of a modest Craftsman-style home, it was built by Frank and Lucinda McMurry in about 1922. It is…

McNeil House

Location: 318 Rogers St NW Rogers Street Local Historic District McNeil House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives McNeil House today (2015) Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross This Tumwater Lumber Mills house appears to have been built around 1930. It is located in the Rogers Street Local Historic District, which was created to showcase the contributions of TLM’s ready-built…

Mead House

Location: 1616 Capitol Way S South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Mead House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Mead House today (2014) Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross Until 1908, when the current Governor’s Mansion was built, Washington’s territorial and state governors had to find their own lodging, typically by renting a suitable home from one of…

Meadowlark Dairy Building

Location: 619 Legion Way SE Wohleb Meadowlark Dairy Building, 1965, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Meadowlark Dairy Building today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross Demonstrating the breadth of his expertise from sublime to utilitarian, Olympia’s iconic architect Joseph Wohleb designed this no-nonsense building for the Meadowlark Dairy in 1943. The dairy was one of several in…

Medical Arts Building

Location:  1015 4th Ave SW mid-Century modern Perspective of Medical Arts Building, about 1962, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Medical Arts Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Medical Arts Building was commissioned in 1962 by doctors E.V. Olson and William Bigelow. It was completed in 1966. The building was adjacent to St. Peter’s Hospital on…

Meeker House

Location: 1202 10th Ave SW Local register Meeker House 1959, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Meeker House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This elaborate Mission revival style building overlooks Capitol Lake. It was erected in 1924 by builder Ernest Meeker (see also La Villa-Meeker Mansion). Its former owner believed it may be a Joseph…

Meeker/Bean House

Location: 834 Percival Street SW Local register; Diversity: Jewish Heritage Meeker/Bean House 1957, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Meeker/Bean House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This is the first-built of three unusual homes designed by builder Ernest Meeker overlooking the Deschutes Estuary in Southwest Olympia (see Meeker House and La Villa-Meeker Mansion). Each of these spectacular homes has…

Methodist Church – second site at 5th and Adams

Location: Northwest corner Adams and 5th Religious institutions First Methodist, around 1903, First United Methodist Church of Olympia Former site of First Methodist today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Another example of a “paved Paradise” in downtown Olympia. The congregation of the First Methodist Episcopal church outgrew its first building just north of here in the early 1890s…

Metropolitan Life Insurance Building

Location:  1006 4th Ave NE mid-Century modern Metropolitan Life Insurance Building 1960s, Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation files   Metropolitan Life Insurance Building (Crain’s Office Supply) today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This small Miesian style building was designed in 1958 by architect Kenneth Ripley and served as the Olympia office of Metropolitan Life until…

Meyer-Chitty House

Location: 616 Milas St NE Meyer-Chitty House 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Meyer-Chitty House today (2014), photo by Deborah Ross Perched atop a bluff in East Olympia, overlooking Budd Inlet, the Meyer House is a well-preserved Craftsman style bungalow. It was built in the early 1920s by Henry and Millie Meyer. It was later owned by Fred Chitty, a…

Minor House

Location: 1528 Columbia St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Diversity: Scandinavians Minor House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Minor House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross Like its next-door neighbor, the Harmon House, the Minor House, built in 1922, is one of several homes that were ordered by catalogue from…

Moore House

Location: 3811 Pifer Rd SE Local register; Women’s History Moore House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Moore House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross John and Olivia Moore built this unusual stucco bungalow in 1927. At the time, the location on Pifer Road was far in the outskirts of Olympia, past the Cloverfield farm. John…

Moore, Janet House

Location: 401 17th Ave SW Women’s History; local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Janet Moore House, 1957, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Janet Moore House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross Janet Moore was one of the most prominent women in Olympia’s early history. Daughter of Philip D. Moore, himself a well-known…

Morris House

Location: 110 26th Ave SW South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District Morris House, 1936, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Morris House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross This imposing colonial revival home was owned by two unrelated families named Morris. Justice George Morris built the large home, with its impressive landscaping, 1909 to 1918, and…

Mottman Building

Location: 101 Capitol Way N Local Register, State Register, National Register, National Historic District, Diversity: Jewish heritage The Toklas and Kaufman building (now Mottman Building) around 1891 charcoal-enhanced photograph from Olympia Tribune Souvenir Issue of 1891, scanned at Washington State Library The Mottman Building today (2012) Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  Most would agree that the…

National Wood Pipe site

Location: Northeast corner of Jefferson and Thurston The National Wood Pipe factory on fire in 1909 photograph from Digital Archives As the former location of the pipe factory appears today (2011), the home of the Hands on Children’s Museum Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross  With the importance of water and water supply to the residents and…

Neuffer Building/Site of Dr. Waughop residence

Location: 513 Capitol Way S Downtown Olympia National District, Diversity: African-Americans Waughop Residence about 1875, Image courtesy of Washington State Historical Society   Neuffer Building today (2012), Photo by Deb Ross In early years the west side of Main Street (Capitol Way) south of Fifth Avenue directly overlooked the Deschutes Estuary (Capitol Lake). (See the Bird’s Eye…

Neuffer House

Location: 1625 Water St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District Neuffer House 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives Neuffer House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross This large bungalow near Capitol Campus was built in 1909 by Paul Neuffer, a German-born jeweler who owned Neuffer‘s jewelry store downtown (see also the Paul and Catherine Neuffer…

New Caldonia building

Location: 116 5th Avenue Downtown National Historic District Proffitt’s Department Store, 1970, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives New Caldonia building today (2017) photograph by Deb Ross According to its owner, the building now called the New Caldonia building was the site of the Caledonia Hotel in the 1870s. By 1914 it was the home…

Newcomb House

Location: 1264 State St NE Newcomb House, 1937, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives   Newcomb House today  (2010), photo by Deborah Ross The Newcomb House was built about 1890 and was the residence of Dr. Newcomb, who arrived in Olympia about the same time. It sits on an elevated position above State…

Northern Pacific depot

Location: 721 Columbia St SW Transportation, mid-Century Northern Pacific Railroad depot around 1914, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Northern Pacific Depot today  (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The first Northern Pacific depot, pictured at above left, was built in about 1891, the year that the Northern Pacific railroad reached downtown Olympia (see also…

Ogden House

Location: 301 Maple Park SE South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Ogden House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Ogden House today (2014), Photo courtesy of Deb Ross  In the early part of the 20th Century, Maple Park was one of the more socially desirable locations in Olympia. Gracious and large homes flanked the park, which was planted…

Old City Hall/Fire Station/”Dead Zone” (Tenderloin District)/Tilley stable site

Location: 108 State Ave NW Local Register, State Register, National Historic Downtown District, Women’s History, Transportation Tilley Stable, date unknown, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives Old City Hall today (2012), Photo by Matthew Kennelly According to historian Bernice Sapp, the first non-Indigenous American occupation of this site was Moses Rice Tilley’s Overland Stage stable.…

Old State Capitol Building

Location: 600 Washington Street Southeast National  Register, State Register, Local Register, National Historical District; Women’s History As it appeared in late 1800s Photo from Digital Archives  As it appears today (2012) Photo courtesy of Deb Ross  The Old State Capitol Building, currently the home of the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, was initially built…

Old Thurston County Courthouse-Capitol Way/Site of Milroy House/Trolley system

Location: 1110 Capitol Way S Local, state and national registers; Wohleb;  Diversity: Native American rights; Transportation Milroy House, 1872, State Library Collection, Digital Archives Old Thurston County Courthouse-Capitol Way today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The building known as the Old Thurston County Courthouse, at the corner of 11th and Capitol Way, was the third…

Old Washington School

Location: 1113 Legion Way SE Wohleb; Schools; Women’s History Washington School, probably 1930s, Merle Junk photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives Avanti High School building today (2013), photograph by Deborah Ross The Washington School building was erected in 1924 to replace the first Washington School nearby, now the site of the Armory Building Creative…

O’Leary, Dan House

Location: 2422 Washington  St SE Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Dan O’Leary House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Dan O’Leary House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This Colonial revival style home was designed by architect Frank Stanton, for a time a partner with Joseph Wohleb. It was built in about 1928 for…

O’Leary, John House

Location: 118 18th Ave SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood John O’Leary House, 1938, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives John O’Leary House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross This colonial revival style house was designed by local architect Frank Stanton for his brother-in-law, Doctor John O’Leary (see also Dan O’Leary House). It was…

Olympia Avenue Historic District

The Olympia Avenue Historic District was created by resolution of the Heritage Commission, approved by the Olympia City Council. Link below for the Staff report describing the District. Several of the homes are individually listed in Where are We?, best found by consulting the Interactive Map. Olympia Avenue Historic District Staff Report PCTV/TCTV video on Olympia…

Olympia Canning Company/Seamart-Yardbirds site

Location: Block bounded by Capitol, A, Washington, and B Women’s history; Popular culture; Transportation Olympia Canning Company, processing pears, 1948, Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives Harbor Heights building, photo courtesy Harbor Heights As various fill operations extended available land north from State Avenue in the early 20th century, industrial development moved in…

Olympia Federal Savings and Loan/Funk-Volland Building site/Elwood Evans home site

Location: 421 Capitol Way S Downtown National Historic District; mid-Century modern Centennial Parade, 1950, with Funk-Volland Building in background, Merle Junk Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives Olympia Federal Savings Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Olympia Federal Savings and Loan building was an important modern contribution to Olympia’s downtown core. The…

Olympia Hardware/Site of Kay’s Chop Suey Restaurant

Location: 109 Capitol Way N Local register; Olympia Downtown National Historic District; Diversity:Chinese heritage Olympia Hardware Co. 1914, Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Olympia Hardware Company building today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly The Olympia Hardware Building, erected in 1884, is one of the oldest existing commercial buildings in the city. It…

Olympia High School site – Capitol Way/Highway and Licensing Building

Location: 1125 Washington St SE Schools, mid-Century modern Olympia High School on Capitol Way, 1920s, State Library Collection, Digital Archives Highway and Licensing Building now (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The institution formally known as William Winlock Miller High School has existed at three locations. The second location, featured here, was built in 1919, on…

Munson House

Location: 2112 Capitol Way S Local register; South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood Munson House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Munson House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Munson House was built in 1924 by the Munson family. Fred G. Munson was a member of a prominent Olympia pioneer family (see Munson store). He owned a drug…

Olympia Knitting Mills

Location: 525 Cherry St. SE (at corner of Legion Way) Popular Culture, Diversity: Jewish History, Women’s History, Schools, Wohleb Olympia Knitting Mills photograph from City of Olympia Women’s Walking Tour   Olympia Knitting Mills building today (2024) Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The Olympia Knitting Mills began its life in downtown Olympia, founded by Seattle businessman…

Olympia Motors

Location: 520 4th  Ave E Transportation, Wohleb Capital Chevrolet, 1942, Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives   Olympia Motors Building now (2012), photo by Deb Ross The Olympia Motors Building is a flamboyant celebration of America’s love affair with the automobile. Built in 1923 and designed by local architect Joseph Wohleb, the ornate Gothic…

Olympia National Bank Building/5th and Capitol

Location: 422 Capitol Way S Downtown National Historic District, State Register, National Register, Wohleb Main Street (Capitol Way) and 5th, looking north, around 1874 , Stereograph (left half) courtesy of Washington State Historical  Society Olympia National Bank building today (2012), Photo from Wikimedia commons The block bound by Main Street (now Capitol Way), 4th Avenue, Washington Street,…

Olympia Oyster Company Building

Location: 320 4th Ave W Diversity: Japanese, Native Americans; Wohleb Olympia Oyster Company around 1924, photograph courtesy Washington State Historical Society   Oyster House in 2012, photo by Deb Ross The oyster industry has been important in Olympia since early days. Originally harvested and sold primarily by Native Americans, the industry became of larger economic…

Olympia Sand and Gravel

Location: 401 Columbia St NW Wohleb, Transportation Olympia Sand and Gravel building, 1930, from DAHP inventory     Olympia Sand and Gravel office building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross   As the land base of Olympia grew to the north with each succeeding dredge and fill operation, commercial businesses expanded into the new territory…

Olympia Supply

Location: 625 Columbia St SW Diversity: Jewish heritage Olympia Supply, 1987, Courtesy of Olympia Supply Olympia Supply now (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly The Olympia Supply Company is the successor name to Olympia Junk, which was originally located one block to the north of this location. The business is still associated with the Bean family…

Olympia Yacht Club

Location: 201 Simmons St NW Transportation  Olympia Yacht Club 1972, cropped from image of Ralph’s Thriftway and Yacht Club, Port of Olympia collection, Southwest Regional Archives   Olympia Yacht Club today (2012), photograph by Deb Ross The Olympia Yacht Club was founded in 1889 and obtained moorings at the present location just east of the…

Olympian Automotive Building/Site of Olympia Opera House/Site of Kaler Market

Location: 509 4th Ave E Popular culture, Transportation Olympia Opera House, 1895-1910, State Library Collection accessed via Digital Archives   Olympian Automotive building today (2012), photo by Matthew Kennelly The Olympia Opera House (or Olympia Theater) was built in 1890 by Washington Standard publisher John Miller Murphy and featured the latest developments in theater construction.…

Otis House

Location: 203 18th Ave SE Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District; Wohleb Otis House, 1939, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Otis House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross The Otis House, built in 1914, was an early commission for Joseph Wohleb. In these early years of his work in Olympia he was…

Overhulse House

Location: 105 Olympic Way NW Local register Overhulse House 1939, Thurston County Assessor Photo, Washington State Archives   Overhulse House today (2010), photo by Deb Ross Built on a fine location overlooking Olympia, the Overhulse House just across the Fourth Avenue bridge in West Olympia was in the second wave of construction on the Woodruff…

Pacific Building/Munson Millinery/Book Store

Location: 406 Capitol Way SE Downtown National Historical District, Women’s History Munson Millinery in 1870s or 1880s, photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society Archibald Sisters (Pacific Building) today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross The block of Capitol Way (originally Main Street) between 4th and 5th Avenues was one of the most important commercial blocks…

Pacific House site

Location: 202 Capitol Way N, parking lot south of 222 Capitol Way N Women’s History; Diversity: African-Americans Pacific House late 19th century, Public Domain image from Blackpast.org website                   Site of Pacific House (parking lot) today, with Rebecca Howard mural (2013), photo by Deb Ross In very…

Paine House

Location: 428 Rogers St NW local register, Rogers Street Historic District Paine House, 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives Paine House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross The Paine House is one of five homes on Rogers Street Northwest that were built about the same time by Tumwater Lumber Mills (TLM). TLM was founded by the…

Parker House

Location: 1623 Sylvester St SW Local register; South Capitol National Historic District; Wohleb Parker House, 1939, Thurston County  Assessor, Washington State Archives Parker House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross The attractive Craftsman style Parker House, built in 1920, is an example of architect Joseph Wohleb’s versatility. Wohleb also designed the next door Colonial style McCully House, built about…