Harris Dry Goods – 10/12/14

10-12-14harrisdrygoods

Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives, photograph by Vibert Jeffers

Isaac Harris founded Harris Dry Goods in the 1880s. In 1896 he moved the store to Main Street (now Capitol Way) between Fifth Avenue and Legion Way, one of the most desirable locations in downtown Olympia. The building still exists and is on the local heritage register. The Harris family (Isaac and his sons Mitchel and Gus) were prominent merchants, active in local politics as well as the Jewish community. This photograph of the department store was taken in 1943. Photograph selected and captioned by Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information see olympiahistory.org.

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.