Location: 308 4th Ave E
|Avalon Theater, 1936, Jeffers photograph. Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives||Avalon Theater (Griswold’s) building (2014), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross|
The Avalon Theater was built in 1928, one of several movie theaters in downtown Olympia. The architect was Franklin Cox Stanton, who adopted the Mission style that characterizes much of downtown’s architecture. The photograph at above left, by Vibert Jeffers, was taken in 1936. In later years this was the Griswold Office Supply building, which burned down in 2004. The building was demolished in 2022.
Links to more information: