Location: 1315 Eskridge Blvd SE
Frank T. Schmidt House 1941, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives
Frank Schmidt House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross
The Frank Schmidt House was built in 1939, across the street from Frank’s brother Frederick Schmidt’s home on Orange Street, in a section of Olympia that was being developed by Frederick and his partners. Both Schmidts were members of the family that founded the Olympia Brewing Company, and although both houses are located in Olympia, they are not far from the brewery in Tumwater where most of the Schmidts, including Frank, worked. Frederick Schmidt researched and specified the use of concrete bricks. This building material was used for several of the homes in the area that were developed by Frederick, partly due to the shortage of wood during World War II.
Like the Frederick Schmidt House, the design was by local architect Joseph Wohleb, who departed dramatically from his signature Mission Revival style, once again demonstrating the breadth of his design palette. The home is inventoried but not on the local register.
For more information on the Schmidt family, see the Residents section of this website
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross