Location: 507 Capitol Way S
Downtown National Historic District
Safeway Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives
Safeway Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross
This building was erected in 1929, with Phillips and Newell as contractors. Its tiled roof and fixed awnings blend well into the overall look of downtown Olympia. The building has served as a grocery, stationery store, and drug store over the years and currently (2014) houses a small grocery store and a restaurant. The building is not on the local register, but is categorized as “historic contributing” in the Downtown Olympia National Historic District. In 1962 a new, modern Safeway store was erected on Fourth Avenue, at the current location of City Hall, and replaced this building.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross