Location: 212 4th Ave W
National Downtown Historic District; Diversity: Gay and Lesbian History
|Cafe Intermezzo, 1970s, Carole Street LaFond website||
Olympia News Office building today (2012), photo by Deb Ross
The blocks extending down Fourth Avenue west of Capitol Way have always been the home to small but important commercial enterprises. In 1914, this location was the home of the Knudson Shoe Shop. The building currently here was erected in 1952 and housed the Olympia News Office. According to the Carolyn Street LaFond website, it at one time housed the Thurston County Republican Headquarters, but took a decided turn to the left when LaFond rehabilitated the building and created Cafe Intermezzo, allegedly the first cafe to serve espresso between Seattle and Portland. The building is on the Gay and Lesbian Walking Tour. It is located in the National Downtown Historic District and listed as an historic contributing building.
Washington State Historical Society, Knudson Shoe Shop photograph by Robert Esterly
(enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box), 2010.149.27.2
Olympia’s Gay and Lesbian History Walking Tour, posted by Hypatia in the Woods