Location: Northeast corner of Jefferson and Thurston
|The National Wood Pipe factory on fire in 1909|
photograph from Digital Archives
|As the former location of the pipe factory appears today (2011), the home of the Hands on Children’s Museum|
Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross
With the importance of water and water supply to the residents and industry of Olympia, a wooden pipe factory was in existence since early days. The National Wood Pipe Company built this factory in the late 1800s or early 1900s as part of a west coast chain of factories. The Pacific states used wood pipe extensively for drinking water as well as irrigation supplies. The 1909 fire was a major event of that year, and would have occurred around the time of the Carlyon Fill project.
For more information about and historical photographs of the building, follow these links: