Location: 406 Capitol Way SE
Downtown National Historical District, Women’s History
|Munson Millinery in 1870s or 1880s, photograph courtesy of Washington State Historical Society||Archibald Sisters (Pacific Building) today (2012), Photograph courtesy of Deb Ross|
The block of Capitol Way (originally Main Street) between 4th and 5th Avenues was one of the most important commercial blocks in downtown Olympia. The Munson family operated Al Munson’s “novelty” store and his daughter’s millinery establishment (see also Munson House). Around 1900, a three-story building was erected at this site, named the Pacific Building. This was the second location for the Van Epps stationery store. It was badly damaged in the 1949 earthquake, and the height was reduced to one story. This building is now (2012) the long-time home of a popular store.
Links to more information:
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box): Al Munson Novelty Store and Munson Millinery, C1922.214.171.124, C19126.96.36.199, C19188.8.131.52, C19184.108.40.206; interior of Van Epps store C1943.1006.12, Pacific Building after the earthquake C1996.6.7, C1996.6.18
Olympia Downtown Historic District National Listing
For more information on the Munson family, see the Residents section of this website.