Memorial Clinic building (demolished)

Location: 529 4th Ave W
Wohleb; mid-Century modern

Memorial Clinic_1949Memorial Clinic building, 1949, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State ArchivesMemorial Clinic building

Memorial Clinic building in 2013, photo by Deb Ross

 

The Memorial  Clinic building was designed by local architect father and son team Robert and Joseph Wohleb and built in 1948. The photograph at above left was taken shortly after it was completed, and a close inspection reveals the Capitol Dome in the background still under repair after the 1949 earthquake. The clinic was an innovative concept at the time, grouping several physicians and specialties under one roof. It was located near downtown but handily close to  St. Peter Hospital, then on Sherman Street. Accordingly, when the current St. Peter Hospital was built in the 1970s, the clinic moved to remain close. The building then served as the Thurston County Department of Health until the 2000s. It was demolished in 2015.

Additional resources:

Olympia Heritage inventory

Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, mid-Century modern walking tour

Looking Back feature, shows interior

Go to next location

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Locations of Historic Interest and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.