Location: 1239 8th Ave SE
Local Register, State Register, National Register
|Patnude House, 1893, Image from Washington State Archives. State Library Photograph Collection.|
Patnude House today (2011), Photo by Deb Ross
Charles Patnude was born in Quebec and came to Olympia in the 1880s. He was a builder by trade, responsible in whole or part for many important buildings including the Chambers Block, the Old State Capitol Building, and the old Thurston County Courthouse (4th Avenue). He and his family lived in this home for only two years, when the house was foreclosed on during a period of economic downturn. He then moved to a house on Jefferson Street with his fifteen children, some of whose descendants remain in Olympia.
This house was built in 1893. It is listed on the local, state and national registers for its important contributions to architectural styles of the time, including rich ornamentation, multiple eaves and gables, and a Gothic Revival style with Italianate elements. The house and its grounds have been meticulously restored to their original exterior appearance.
Washington State Historical Society photographs (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box): C19184.108.40.206.3