Location: 1113 Legion Way SE
Wohleb; Schools; Women’s History
|Washington School, probably 1930s, Merle Junk photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives|
Esther Knox Administrative Building today (2013), photograph by Deborah Ross
The Washington School building was erected in 1924 to replace the first Washington School nearby, now the site of the Armory. It was the largest and most ornate of architect Joseph Wohleb’s Mission style buildings erected in Olympia. This massive structure includes many of Wohleb’s signature features, including the use of stucco, ornamentation, marbled glass windows, and tiled parapet. The building now houses administrative offices for the Olympia School District, as well as the Avanti High School. It has been named after long-time educator, and historian, Esther Knox (see link to her history of Olympia schools in our Bibliography). Although not on the historic register, its exterior features have been well preserved.