Location: 721 Columbia St SW
Northern Pacific Railroad depot around 1914, photo courtesy of Washington State Historical Society
Northern Pacific Depot today (2012), photo by Matt Kennelly
The first Northern Pacific depot, pictured at above left, was built in about 1891, the year that the Northern Pacific railroad reached downtown Olympia (see also 7th Avenue Tunnel). It was a long clapboard building with a platform facing the tracks adjacent to the Deschutes Estuary (now Capitol Lake). This building was razed in 1966 and replaced by the current building, with similar architecture, in 1967. Following the demise of passenger service to downtown Olympia, this building was acquired by the state and is currently (2012) vacant.
For more information follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog numbers in Collection Search box): 2010.149.31.2, 2010.149.42.2, C19220.127.116.11.7, C1958.1328.5
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross