Location: 1403 Garfield St. NW
Local Register; mid-Century Modern; Religious Institutions; Schools
Second Church of Christ, Scientist building 1950, Merle Junk photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives
Second Church of Christ, Scientist building (Mariah Arts) today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross
The Second Church of Christ, Scientist congregation was formed in the 1930s and met in various locations in West Olympia before settling here in 1950. The building, designed by Clarence George and Robert Price, was featured in Progressive Architecture magazine in 1956. Construction is of concrete block, and featured modern innovations such as radiant heat. The building is meant to reflect Christian Science’s emphasis on simplicity. Sadly, many original features were lost when the building was transformed into a secular arts school. It remains on the local heritage register and is an example of mid-Century religious architecture.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross