Location: 1617 Capitol Way S
South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood; Women’s History
|Mustard House, 1936, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||Mustard House today (2014), photo by Deb Ross|
The Mustard House on Capitol Way in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood is one of the most prominent homes in the neighborhood. Designed in the Queen Anne style, it was built around 1886 and may have been originally located in what is now the Capitol Campus. By the early 20th century, it was located here and occupied by a husband and wife doctor team, Jack and Flora Mustard. Flora Mustard was a daughter of Olympia mayor A.H. Chambers, from an eminent pioneer family (see also nearby Chambers House and Chambers Block, both owned by A.H.). The home has retained most of its original features. It is not on a heritage register, but has been inventoried.
For more information on the Chambers family, see the Residents section of this website.