Location: 110 26th Ave SW
South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District
|Morris House, 1936, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives|
Morris House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross
This imposing colonial revival home was owned by two unrelated families named Morris. Justice George Morris built the large home, with its impressive landscaping, 1909 to 1918, and served as Chief Justice from 1916 to 1917. Later on, Mel and Irma Morris bought the house. The Morrises owned the most important ladies’ clothing store, M.M. Morris, at the corner of Washington and Fourth, in the Martin Building. The home is in the South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District. It is inventoried, but not on the local register.