Location: 421 Capitol Way S
Downtown National Historic District; mid-Century modern
|Centennial Parade, 1950, with Funk-Volland Building in background, Merle Junk Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives
||Olympia Federal Savings Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross|
The Olympia Federal Savings and Loan building was an important modern contribution to Olympia’s downtown core. The business was founded in 1906 and had several downtown locations before this building was erected in 1967. It is described as being one of the most intact post World War II buildings in Olympia. Making a bold modern statement, the building is a floating glass box framed by metal and brick. It was one of the best works of Olympia architect G. Stacey Bennett. The elaborate carved doors were the work of artist Walter Graham. The building is located in the Olympia Downtown National Historic District.
This is also the former site of the Funk-Volland Building, another important downtown structure, seen in the photograph at above left. That building was erected in 1909 by attorney George Funk and his sister Mrs. Addie Volland (see also Funk House). From this office, Funk probably worked on his brief arguing that all state-owned buildings should be located in Olympia, ensuring the state government’s prominent presence here.
Looking back post featuring 1967 photograph of Olympia Federal building
For more information on the Funk family, see the Residents section of this website