Location: 510 Columbia SW
Downtown National Historic District; Transportation
|Penney’s Annex Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives|
Penney’s Annex Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross
This building on Columbia Street was erected before 1914, and originally served as an automobile garage (see link below). For several years it was an annex store for the Penney’s store that stood on the corner of Legion and Capitol Way. The building is shown as “historic contributing” in the Downtown Olympia National Historic Register and has been little changed since it was built.
Washington State Historical Society photograph of garage in 1914 (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box) 2010.149.9.2