Location: 600 Washington Street Southeast
National Register, State Register, Local Register, National Historical District; Women’s History
|As it appeared in late 1800s|
Photo from Digital Archives
|As it appears today (2012)|
Photo courtesy of Deb Ross
The Old State Capitol Building, currently the home of the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, was initially built to house the Thurston County courthouse and opened in 1892. In 1902 the building was purchased by the state for use as the State Capitol Building. Following its acquisition by the state, the “annex” was built to the east. The building originally had a clock tower, shown in the photograph to the left. The year that the current Legislative Building was completed in 1928, a disastrous fire gutted the building and destroyed the clock tower. The building was again heavily damaged in the 1949 earthquake.
Over the years, many women have been employed in this building, ranging from clerk to legislators and officials, to Superintendents of Public Instruction in more recent years.
For more information about and historic photographs of the building, follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society photographs (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box): C1977.44.3, C1985.12.16, 1998.81.7, C1977.44.8, C1950.1301.2, C1977.44.5, C1958.181x.1; C2013.18.193
History Link article: 1928 fire
Looking Back feature, Teddy Roosevelt addressing crowd in front of building