Location: 1607 Columbia St SW
Local register; South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District; Wohleb; Diversity: Scandinavians
|Ole C Hanson House, 1937, Thurston County assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||
Ole C Hanson House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross
The Ole C Hanson House, built in 1914, was an early commission for Joseph Wohleb. In these early years of his work in Olympia Wohleb was adeptly and dramatically demonstrating the breadth of his skills, from the Dutch Colonial Cloverfields, to the English Renaissance McCleary Mansion, Mission style Lord Mansion. This Craftsman style home, with Tudor elements, is very similar in style to the nearby Otis House that was built the same year.
Ole C Hanson, an immigrant from Norway, was a cofounder of the Olympia Oyster Company, along with his first father-in-law, W.H. Kneeland. After his divorce from Bertha Kneeland Hanson, Hanson married his second wife, Louise (see also Louise Hanson duplex). As with many homes in this neighborhood, the home was then occupied by a judge and a doctor, due to its proximity both to the courts and the first St. Peter Hospital. The home is on the local register as well as located in the South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District.
WSHS: enter following catalog number in Collections Search: 2012.123.115