Location: 727 West Bay Drive NW
|Giles House, 1939, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives|
Giles House today (2010), photo by Deborah Ross
The Charles Giles House was built in 1885 and is in the Italianate style unusual for existing Olympia homes. It is essentially a tall rectangular building with a few unusual ornamental details, and has been well preserved. It is early for West Olympia homes, built by saw mill operator Charles Giles whose mill was within walking distance on West Bay Drive. It is perched on a hillside in West Olympia and has a view of Mount Rainier and downtown Olympia. It is on the state, but not the local, registry.
For more information follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society (links in bold face have scanned photos, others detailed descriptions): C1922.214.171.124.4
For more information on the Giles family, including Charles Giles’s brother Milton, see the Residents section of this website