Location: 205 Maple Park Ave
South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood
Jewett House, 1947, Thurston County Assessor’s photograph from Southwest Regional Archives
Jewett House today (2015), photo by Deborah Ross
In the early part of the 20th Century, Maple Park was one of the more socially desirable locations in Olympia. Gracious and large homes flanked the park, which was planted with flowers and lovingly maintained. A bandstand hosted regular summer concerts, and a tall flagpole with a gold globe surmounting it crowned the park. The park was flanked by homes of Olympia’s wealthy citizens, including the A.D. Rogers home and the Ogden House. Unfortunately, all of the homes originally located on the north side of the street were demolished or moved in the 1950s and 1960s to make way for the expansion of Capitol Campus to the east side of Capitol Way. A few vintage houses remain on the south side, scattered among newer homes.
The Jewett House, built about 1910, is described as a Chalet-bungalow style house. It is basically a classic bungalow turned sideways to the street with a decorative balcony added at the second story reminiscent of a Swiss chalet. The Jewett household, consisting of widowed Florence and her stenographer daughter Margaret, lived in this home beginning about 1911. The home is in the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood and is inventoried, but not on the local register, although it is very well preserved.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross