Location: 414 4th Ave E
|Eastside Barbership, 1914, Robert Esterly photograph, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society||Obsidian restaurant today (2015), photo by Deb Ross|
Since the late 19th century, the buildings lining 4th Avenue have been solidly commercial. In 1914 Robert Esterly chronicled many of the commercial and industrial businesses in downtown Olympia, including the Eastside Barbership shown at above left, owned by F.E. Waxler. This part of 4th Avenue is at present a popular hangout, with the Artesian Commons across the street and many restaurants and bars. The building occupied by the restaurant at above right was erected in 1947.
Washington State Historical Society photographs. Enter the catalog number in the Collections Search Box: 2010.149.8.2