Location: 1603 4th Ave W
Local Register; mid-Century Modern
|Elliott House, 1949, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||
Elliott House today (2014), photograph by Deb Ross
The Donald & Irene Elliott House is on the local register as an example of post World War II residential construction in Olympia. Built in 1948 at the beginning of the Baby Boom, the layout of the home reflects the era’s orientation towards family living and ease of maintenance, eliminating unnecessary interior walls and simplifying living spaces. The exterior and interior reflect a combination of art deco, tudor revival, and colonial styles in an overall architectural sensibility termed Minimal Traditional. This home, like many in Olympia, was part of a tract laid out after World War II to accommodate the city’s growth. The owner of the home is an expert in mid-Century modern architecture at the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation and the inventory notes are a particularly helpful description of the importance of preserving and appreciating the city’s mid-Century buildings.