Location: 1023 Capitol Way S
|Le May Meat Market, around 1940, Southwest Regional Archives Daughters of the Pioneers collection||
Le May Meat Market building today, photograph by Deborah Ross (2015)
In the days before the advent of supermarkets, small groceries were much more prevalent and scattered throughout the city. The Le May Meat Market building currently at this location was erected in 1936. By then, Capitol Way had turned largely commercial, with the designation of Route 99 bringing increasing traffic through town. The building’s distinctive art deco style, with its stepped parapet, earned it a place on the city’s inventory. Another Le May market was also located on Route 99 as it turned north onto Fourth Avenue (see also Le May House and Le May Market on Fourth Avenue).