Location: 2604 Capitol Way S
Local register, South Capitol National Historic District
|Hinkle House 1937, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||
Hinkle House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross
This relatively modest Craftsman/Foursquare style house at the far southern end of the South Capitol neighborhood was the long-time home of Secretary of State J. Grant Hinkle and his wife Irene. At the time it was built, in about 1920, it would have been a long, tedious commute from this distant home on the edge of town, to the State Capitol Building at Sylvester Park (the Old State Capitol, now Superintendent of Public Instruction building). On the other hand, Capitol Way was paved, and the current Legislative Building was in process of construction: by the time Hinkle finished his long service as Secretary of State in 1933, he had the opportunity to move into his offices on Capitol Campus.
The home is on the local register.
For more information on J. Grant Hinkle, see the Residents section of this website.