Location: 1431 Legion Way SE
Local register; Religious institutions
|Free Methodist church, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society||Free Methodist Church building today (2013) photograph by Deb Ross|
The Free Methodist Christian denomination was founded in the 1860s as an offshoot of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The denomination is considered more conservative and evangelical than the United Methodist Church, of which First United Methodist is a member. The first building of Olympia’s Free Methodist congregation was erected on this site in 1913. At the time, it would have been far out of town, just as the port area was beginning to be developed. Its likely members would have included many of the working families living in the neighborhood. The current building was larger, erected in 1933. The congregation moved to an even larger facility in 1957, and this building is now a privately owned wedding chapel. The building is on the local register.
Washington State Historical Society,
Enter the catalog number in the Collections Search Box: C19184.108.40.206.26.1.27