Location: 1202 Olympia Ave NE
National, State and Local Register, Olympia Avenue Local Historical District, Women’s History
|Funk House in 1939, Thurston County Assessor, State Archives||Funk House today (2010), photo by Joe Mabel posted on Wikimedia Commons|
The Funk House, one of the most elaborate Queen Anne homes in Olympia, was built in about 1892 or 1894 by Bradford and Ann Pattison Davis, where they lived until 1907 when Brad moved to Portland to manage the bottling plant for Olympia Brewing Company (see also Pattison-Davis House). It was purchased by attorney George Funk and his wife Goldie Robertson Funk. The Funks were some of the more prominent and active citizens in Olympia: he was a lawyer, city council member, and Chamber of Commerce officer; she was an historian, a women’s activist, and a writer.
The house has been meticulously preserved outside over the years and contains a myriad of delightful ornamentation and details. It is on the National, State and Local register, as well as anchoring the eastern end of the Olympia Avenue Local Historical District.
For more information follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society photographs (items in bold face have scanned images associated with them):C19220.127.116.11.8